Venturing Crew/High School

Ok so can a Venturing crew be chartered by a high school? Also, are crews allowed to be "clubs" of the school and chartered by a business? I think it'd be a great way to gain new members, since everyone would fit the age range anyway, and most people would know each other. Thanks!

Ok so can a Venturing crew be chartered by a high school?

Also, are crews allowed to be "clubs" of the school and chartered by a business?

A Scout unit cannot be chartered by a school directly but can be chartered by a PTG.

A Crew can be chartered by a business. Gander Mountain near us charters a Venturing Crew.

Can a Crew be a club of the school? and be chartered by a business?

Around here each school district makes their own rules about clubs in schools and how they are structured.

You would have to check with each school to find out what is allowed.

The crew my daughter is in is selling candy bars as a fundraiser.

Most of the kids in the crew are in a different school district than us.

They can sell the candy bars during school.

In our school district outside clubs are not allowed to sell anything during school hours only school clubs are allowed to do so.

In my old ship there were a bunch of people who went to the same school, so they set up a Sailing club at the school and used it to recruit for the Ship.

In most schools students are allowed to set up clubs, they just have to find a teacher willing to sponsor them.(This message has been edited by sailingpj)

thing is, government bodies (that includes government schools) have issues with the BSA's membership policies, hence why they do not charter packs, troops, or crews.

crews can be chartered by various community organizations, churches, businesses. Heck, we have a few 'friend of crew xyz' as the charter org.

Given that a good crew will eventually attract youth from outside school (ours did from the get-go), you should consider being charterd by an organization that is interested in attracting diverse youth from a wide area.

Our school district allows the youth to promote crew activities. Just like most elementary schools let the BSA district executive or a nearby troop promote scouting. In fact my crew president is planning on visiting 8th grade classrooms to promote the program. They just have to add a disclaimer at the bottom of fliers saying "this activity is not supported or endorsed by the __ school district."

Needless to say, rules are dependent on your school district, so talk to your superintendant.