Crew with High attrition rate

Before the holidays I posted about the Crew I am a new UC for.

This is the crew whose Advisor has been deployed overseas for the next year and has no trained leaders.

Currently the crew is being run by the COR/IH and is 100% adult run.

During my chat with the COR/IH an issue brought up was the high turnover this crew has.

Most youth take 2 meetings worth of safety training, sign up, shoot 2 or 3 times, and then dont show again.

The impression I got is that these adults dont see the value of the Scouting program; however none really understand or have ever seen what the Scouting program really is about.

My thought is to let the COR/IH know that I (or the BSA) can help with improving the turnover rate.

I know that the lack of training is a big issue but there is no way any of these adults will sit through 5 or 6 hours of Venturing Leader training.

I am hoping that working on this one issue may open the door to show these adults what the BSA program can offer them.

I am talking with my DE and DC before meeting with them again but could use some ideas on Where to start?

one idea i like is havign the unit leaders visit a great unit and having a chat with the leaders. It sounds hokey, and yes that is what is shown in the FS video, but before that ever came out, that method was used. I remember a few visits from new troop leaders, both adult and youth, back in the day.

Why is this a Crew?

Numbers, numbers, numbers!

These units were started by a previous DE who only concern was to start units any way he could.

I dont think this DE really spent any time discussing the Scouting program with the CO and sold the COs with the BSA insurance.

Most District volunteers think that we should have never registered these units as Crews.

This crew is actually registered as 2 crews but function as one.

These crews have 2 different COs with the same IH/COR - Same Advisor Same CC a few Different CMs

These Crews meet indoor at one CO during the winter and move outdoors and meet at the other CO when the weather gets nice.

If a youth joins one unit they are registered in both Crews.

My DE is fully aware of this but he will not drop these units and lose the numbers.

It seems that the Advisor (the one that will be gone for a year) uses the well drop the units if required to do any of the Scouting stuff (training, paperwork, YPT).

My council is in the in the pilot program for manditory training.

I thought that requiring training would help get some of the adults trained.

They already figured out that for a Venturing Crew only the Advisor needs to be trained.

They can then register everyone else as a Committee Member (who isn't required to be trained) and the crew can continue.

I think that if the adults that are running things can see some success using some of the Venturing program they might be willing to slowing start incorporating more and more.

I think it starts with that "vision" thing. What does the CO want this crew to be, ultimately? If all they want is to cycle kids through, get them some firearms training, then send them on their merry way and make room for the next batch, it looks like they're pretty much there.

If they wan something more, say a group of young people who bond together and form a cohesive group, one where some character development can take place, then maybe you have a chance on selling them on the BSA/Venturing way of accomplishing that. Sure it'll mean a commitment to do some training on their part, but if they see the benefits, and the training is not too inconvenient, well it's a lot easier than reconstructing 100 years of experience on their own by trial and error.

Good luck,

DWS

I am going to give the DE the benefit of the doubt on this one, as he may be unable to get rid of the dual registration, i.e. 1 unit registered as two. I had a similar situation as a DE and the PTB did not want me to get rid of either unit. However I did get creative; got permission from IH to transfer the charter to a new CO. grant you it was a new unit that I missed getting credit for, but believe that the problem was more important to solve.

I am an optimist and agree with Dances with Spread Sheets. I think if you can get them to jhave a vision, AND meet fellow Venturing leaders, it will work.

I agree with OGE. I think it would be reasonable for you (CNY) to go to your DC (or whoever assigned you to be UC for these units), and tell him you do not think you can be of any benefit to these units, and tell him why, and ask to be reassigned to "real" units that you can actually help. And I would make sure the DE also knows what you are doing, and why. There is no reason why you should waste your time and energy in a situation where the unit does not want your help and the district (in the person of the DE) is fine with what is happening. Maybe the DC, if he/she has some backbone, will try to do something about it. If not, you will have done all you can.

(Edit: Expand and clarify)(This message has been edited by njcubscouter)

CNYScouter wrote:

I am hoping that working on this one issue may open the door to show these adults what the BSA program can offer them.

and

I think that if the adults that are running things can see some success using some of the Venturing program they might be willing to slowing start incorporating more and more.

There's nothing that says Venturing crews have to use the "BSA program" or even the "Venturing program." DancesWithSpreadsheets hit the nail on the head. If the CO is satisfied, there's really nothing more you can do as a UC except request reassignment to a unit where your services are really needed.

The refusal to take YPT does bother me, however. That's such a simple, easy thing to do that no one should have any objection.

One direct result of not bothering with any of the "Scouting stuff" during the year that the advisor is gone will be that the units will go under. No paperwork = no recharter = no unit = no BSA insurance. Make sure the stubborn advisor understands that, at least, and then cut your losses and skeedaddle. Let the DE who helped create this situation deal with it.

My crew does not follow any BSA program format. However, the leaders are trained and all the adults that have regular contact with the boys have YPT. We are a small crew but we've been around since the formation of Venturing back in the late 90's. Our CO is very pleased with the operation of the crew and so life is good and the Council supports our lack of BSA programming as long as the boys get what they want from the program.

Stosh

What does the crew president have to say about this? Meeting indoors in the winter just because its winter would be a show-stopper for my youth.

Have you suggested the crew attend an Council/Area VOA event? A lot of these have training in the chaperon's coffee lounge, and it's a lot better way to get to know other adults trying to do the same thing.

Anyway, if the president is not meeting WITH the committee or addressing the CO at some point in the year, in my opinion, you don't have a crew. Might as well let the charter lapse.

CNY

In spite of all the suggestions given here I think you need to feel secure that this is a legit venturing crew and not a rogue one where the safety and welfare of the kids are at risk, especially along the lines of YPT. As far as training is concerned in two years when the BSA makes it is mandatory for any leader who has direct contact with the kids that problem will take care of itself. If attrition is as high as you state it is then the crews days are probably numbered anyway. Concentrate on those units that are open to your help, being a commissioner is difficult enough without having to "tilt at windmills". Good luck.

In our council a unit could not get a local tour permit approved without having at least one Youth Protection trained leader on the tour permit. I do not know if that is the case in all councils. I also do not know whether this crew goes "out of town" for its shooting trips, or if so, whether they bother with mere paperwork like tour permits. And, oh boy: Shooting trips. You would kind of want to make sure all your paperwork is in order for those, wouldn't you?