HELP! The STAR... what does it mean?

MaineScouter says:

This thread has definately reached the end of its lifespan.

I would say so. I am not sure how many different ways people can say that the youthful victims of this troop leadership should find a different troop, unless the powers that be can be prevailed upon to provide for new leaders. At this point the elephants have knocked over the circus tent on their way out, and the clowns have come piling out of that little car. Unfortunately, a few of the clowns are wearing red shoulder loops.

I hope that the Archivist is able to find an answer and that Dan posts it.

I thought it was Dave. :)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, NJ -- it is Dave.

My Scout Executive can't seem to call me Dave. He almost always calls me David. This irritates me to no end, but he's the boss and I do love the guy, so I answer.

I really dislike being called Dan because that isn't even close to my name, but I love my fellow posters on these forums, so I answer to it.

Here is the answer from an archivist -- evidently they use volunteers at the National Scouting Museum. As you can see, TwoCubDad was correct (at least that's what I infer)

"Dear Mr. Steel,

Thank you for your inquiry to the National Scouting Museum Archives. I am replying to your request about the meaning of the Scout Badge. The current Handbook says the following: There are two stars on the badge. They symbolize truth and knowledge. The three points of the trefoil stand for the three parts of the Scout Oath. The eagle and shield stand for freedom and a Scouts readiness to defend that freedom. The shape of the Scout badge means that a Scout can point the right way in life as truly does a compass in the field. The scroll bearing the Scout motto is turned up at the ends as a reminder that a Scout smiles as he does his duty. The knot at the bottom of the scroll represents the Scout slogan, Do a Good Turn Daily.

If you need any further assistance do not hesitate to contact the National Scouting Museum Archives.

Rev. Steven R. Price JR."

Archivist

National Scouting Museum

I think the question lost something in translation between the individual I talked to an Rev. Price who researched the asnwer. I also think I should have spelled my last name for them -- three e's and not all in a row.

I agree with the others in this thread that the question had no place in a board of review for any rank. If there is an answer, it's obvious that it is not common knowledge nor is it needed.

DS

Thank you, DAVE, for you help in this matter. I'm sorry I called you Dan. I couldn't remember what "D" stood for, I was sure it was Dan. I should have taken the time to go back through some of your posts and look for your first name. The ones I saw were signed DS.

Thank you to everyone else who contributed to the information about the Star rank... AND to everyone that made it very clear that our Troop has major training issues. I fully intend pursue it.

I appologize for all the complaining I did about our SM.

YIS,

MaineScouter

MaineScouter --

I hope you didn't think I took offense at being called Dan, although in re-reading my post I can see why you might have thought I took offense.

I took none. If I were truly worried about what I was called, I'd do something else for a living ;) and would never have posted a thread about my brain disorder.

It's my own fault for signing a majority of my posts DS, but it's easy to type and I really don't mind what I'm called. I was brought up to believe that correcting someone's minor mistake politely and respectfully is a good thing.

On a side note, I'm often called "Steve" which people get when they blend Dave and Steele together somehow. This is also more of an amusing irritation than a problem.

In the grand scheme of things, a Scout receiving a just and fair board of review is far, far more important than getting my name -- or anyone else's right.

D(ave) S

By the way, I did find a site that explained the origin of the Life rank and why it is symbolized by a heart. See

http://www.sageventure.com/history/changes/index.htm

Originally Life was the first badge awarded after First Class and was awarded for earning five merit badges dealing with health and fitness (hence the heart and "Life"), namely: First Aid, Athletics, Life-saving, Personal Health, and Public Health. The Star badge was then earned for earning any five more merit badges. In 1927, in recognition of the fact that Star was easier to earn than Life, the order was switched. Or at least that was what this site says.

So it is another instance of Scouting facts lost to time. The name "Life" and the heart really have no specific relationship to the rank today. It is sort of like the original meaning of "Webelos," with the consonants spelling Wolf Bear Lion Scout. The Lion was retired about 2 years before I would have been a Lion. Now Webelos stands for We'll Be Loyal Scouts, but that was not the original (or at least not the sole original) meaning.

I love trivia like this. And I think that some trivia can have a place in the program if it is about something in the book and if it is kept in its proper place. I have been part of this sort of thing at the Cub Scout level. I remember at one pack meeting we had a "game show" asking teams from the different dens questions from the handbook at their level. In other words we might have asked a Tiger to say the Tiger Cub Motto, a Wolf to name the wolf in the handbook, a Bear to name the card that entitles Bear and Webelos scouts to carry a knife, and that sort of thing. But if the winners got anything, it was a plastic arrowhead or something like that. Not a rank advancement (if we haven't beaten that subject completely into the hereafter.)

Of course, at that meeting I would have been happier if the Cubmaster, who learned about a week earlier that whatever outside demonstration was planned had fallen through had called me ahead to time to ask me to write questions, and not hand me a bunch of handbooks as I walked in the door on meeting night and say here, you have 10 minutes to come up with questions... But I guess that was fun too, in its own harrowing way...

Final update, I promise! Tonight the member of the BOR that asked my son the Star question caught up with him on the way out of our Troop meeting. He casually asked him what the two white stars on the Star rank stood for. My son replied TRUTH and KNOWLEDGE. He said, "Good. You've passed. Let Mr. So-n-so know." ALL THIS RESEARCH AND STRESS FOR THAT??? I guess he must have rethought his original question. Or, maybe my discussion with our DE and CC had a trickle down effect.

This kind of stuff really irks me.

Oh, on the way home my son asked me if he could change Troops. Surprise, surprise... I told him I would discuss it with his Dad. He said that several of the other Scouts have been talking about switching to another Troop. If they go, he says he wants to go with them.

MS

MaineScouter --

Good luck to you and your son, especially your son. It sounds like the boys will be voting with their feet as is their right.

I also hope for the best for the old troop, for the sake of the boys. Perhaps the adults will learn a lesson.

I also hope that all the boys will stay in Scouting.

DS