HELP! The STAR... what does it mean?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I wonder if they even know the answer? "

My son told me he asked the BOR member that asked the question what the answer was... he man said he couldn't remember, but knew it was something scouts should know!! That's why we were so driven to find the answer... we felt stupid! LOL The symbolism of the 1st Class badge is clear, but none of us in our family had ever heard of the star meaning anything. (Dh and older son are both Eagles.) This has certainly been a learning experience in more ways than one.

MaineScouter

OK, if we're keeping score, now we have a Scoutmaster and BOR members who are ALL adding requirements to what is in the book. And in the case of the SM, adding to the requirements in a major, major way. (I guess what the BOR did is pretty major, too.)

I don't doubt for a moment that your son and this other boy are "determined," and as I suggested before, I think the "average boy" would have long since found "better things to do" than be a member of this troop. "Determination" is great, and they should be allowed to channel their determination into earning the NEXT rank -- not one for which they have already fulfilled the requirements.

My son told me he asked the BOR member that asked the question what the answer was... he man said he couldn't remember, but knew it was something scouts should know!!

OK, this situation has just officially advanced into the Theater of the Absurd.

This is starting to sound like Abbott & Costello routine! Someone needs to sit down with these guys & remind them what Scouting is all about. It sounds like they forgot or have no idea.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

I don't think that the question is that strange for a BOR. I ask odd questions to see how the Scouts will respond to strange questions. However, I don't think that I'd send him off to search for the answer to that one before he was advanced.

I do think that this Scoutmaster needs someone to talk to him.

Just so all of you can appreciate how absurd this whole situation is, let me explain a little about our Troop. My dh is the past committee chair, he is now the assistant committee chair in charge of Board of Reviews, what else? It was my DH that started the trend toward "testing" at board of reviews because at the time we had a SM that didn't care if the boys learned anything or not. He didn't follow BSA regulations on anything and would send boys for BOR's that hadn't even completed all of the requirements for the rank. We eventually got him replaced by the current SM. Now get this, the current committee chair is the SM's twin sister. If I call her and complain about the BOR process/SM conference issue, I'm shooting myself in the foot at home and pitting her against her brother. So what did I do? Shot myself in the foot and did it anyway. I'm waiting to hear back from her now.

MaineScouter (whose Troop experience is beginning to sound like a really bad Soap Opera)

Sorry, but I don't know what a DH is. The best thing I can suggest is get a copy of the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures manual. Highlight the related passages and have copies made for the entire committee. Explain that you recently discovered that what the committee has been doing is in direct violation of the policies of the BSA and that the practice needs to stop immediately. Suggest that the District Advancement Chair or the Boy Scout Training committee be invited in to give the proper training so that the boys are no no longer adversely affected by the past procedures.

there is specific training for the SM andASMs and a separate course for the Troop committee. Your local training team can tell you when these courses are available, but I recommend you ask that the training committee schedule courses for your unit specifically.

(I still don't know what a DH is in scouting)

Bob White

DH is one of those acronyms people create and it eventually catches on, like FYI... or ASAP... or MYOB... or maybe it eventually doesn't catch on. But while it is in the process of catching on, or not, people who don't know it get confused -- until THEY catch on, which I did about a year ago.

DH, often spelled dh, stands for: Dear Husband. I do not think you will find a position code for it on the Adult Leader Application. :)

I think I have seen documentary footage of your BOR process...

BRIDGEKEEPER:

Stop!

Who would cross the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, ere the other side he see.

LAUNCELOT:

Ask me the questions, bridgekeeper. I am not afraid.

BRIDGEKEEPER:

What... is your name?

LAUNCELOT:

My name is 'Sir Launcelot of Camelot'.

BRIDGEKEEPER:

What... is your quest?

LAUNCELOT:

To seek the Holy Grail.

BRIDGEKEEPER:

What... is your favourite colour?

LAUNCELOT:

Blue.

BRIDGEKEEPER:

Right. Off you go.

LAUNCELOT:

Oh, thank you. Thank you very much.

ROBIN:

That's easy!

BRIDGEKEEPER:

Stop! Who approacheth the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, ere the other side he see.

ROBIN:

Ask me the questions, bridgekeeper. I'm not afraid.

BRIDGEKEEPER:

What... is your name?

ROBIN:

'Sir Robin of Camelot'.

BRIDGEKEEPER:

What... is your quest?

ROBIN:

To seek the Holy Grail.

BRIDGEKEEPER:

What... is the capital of Assyria?

[pause]

ROBIN:

I don't know that! Auuuuuuuugh!

BRIDGEKEEPER:

Stop! What... is your name?

GALAHAD:

'Sir Galahad of Camelot'.

BRIDGEKEEPER:

What... is your quest?

GALAHAD:

I seek the Grail.

BRIDGEKEEPER:

What... is your favourite colour?

GALAHAD:

Blue. No, yel-- auuuuuuuugh!

BRIDGEKEEPER:

Hee hee heh. Stop! What... is your name?

ARTHUR:

It is 'Arthur', King of the Britons.

BRIDGEKEEPER:

What... is your quest?

ARTHUR:

To seek the Holy Grail.

BRIDGEKEEPER:

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

ARTHUR:

What do you mean? An African or European swallow?

BRIDGEKEEPER:

Huh? I-- I don't know that. Auuuuuuuugh!

BEDEVERE:

How do know so much about swallows?

ARTHUR:

Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know.

[suspenseful music]

[music suddenly stops]

[intermission]

[suspenseful music resumes]

"BRIDGEKEEPER:

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

ARTHUR:

What do you mean? An African or European swallow?

BRIDGEKEEPER:

Huh? I-- I don't know that. Auuuuuuuugh! "

LOL, I guess my son should have answered, "Which Star rank, the one from 1911-1924 or the one from 1924 to the present?"

In most law schools, a typical kind of question to find on a final exam is called an "issue-spotting" question. It consists of a series of facts, often a completely ridiculous scenario with all kinds of wacky events happening on top of each other, and it is the student's job to write an essay applying the legal principles learned in the particular class to those facts -- first identifying ("spotting") the issues raised by the facts and the types of legal claims that could be pursued, and if the professor asks, what the likely resolution of those claims would be.

As I said, it's often a completely ridiculous scenario. A steals a car owned by B, drives it 5 miles and parks it, where C who is driving down the road swerves to avoid a dog and accidentally hits the car, and D, a police officer who arrived to investigate, is hit on the head by a brick dropped off an adjoining building by E... you get the idea. The actual questions are usually a lot zanier than that, but that's the best I could do on the spur of the moment.

That's what I feel like when reading what MaineScouter has written in these various posts. There are just so many things going on here that are either wrong, or officially acceptable but probably not a good idea, that it's tough to catch them all. (An example of the "not a good idea" category, in my opinion, would be the CC being the sister of the SM. I almost fell off my chair when I read that they are TWINS -- not that that makes a difference once you know they are brother-sister, but it just makes the whole thing that much crazier. I am half-expecting MaineScouter's next post to involve the circus going through town and an an elephant stepping on the troop trailer...)

LOL, I guess my son should have answered, "Which Star rank, the one from 1911-1924 or the one from 1924 to the present?"

Good answer, or maybe your son should have said the five points stand for the five principal compass directions: North, south, east, west, and the fastest way out of this troop...