Assistant Scoutmaster Job Description

I'm in the process of delegating specific duties to my assistant scoutmasters. I plan to have positions such as:

ASM - New Scouts

ASM - Patrol Advisor

ASM - High Adventure

ASM - Equipment

ASM - Records

ASM - Camping

etc.

Does anyone currently have written job descriptions for positions like these that you could share? I'd be interested in how others have organized their assistants to support the youth scout leaders in leading the troop.

Thanks

My recommendation would be to have the troop committee take care of records and drop the patrol advisor position...that's your job.

The SM trains the Patrol Leaders to operate the patrol. I would suggest an ASM for New Scout Patrol that works closely with them and steps back as their skills and experience allow. The Same for an ASM of a venture patrol (your High Advanture position). But as far as the regular patrols that is really your job as the SM.

I would also recommend an ASM for Webelos Recruitment to build relationships with packs and potential troop members.

Hope this helps,

Bob White

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

The ASM positions defined by BSA are a good place to start, but sometimes troop size can dictate a little deviation from the norm. If your troop is sizable, then having more 'trained' adult leaders in the form of ASM's can definitely be a plus. How they are used will vary from troop to troop. How they are used will greatly impact the interest with which they approach the job. And the designation of ASM for each will be something that varies from troop to troop, also. As Bob indicated, some of the tasks you've outlined can be the territory of the committee.

In our troop, the number of ASM's varied between 10-15. Each found his/her own little 'niche' in the troop organization which they enjoyed working at, and knew that they were serving in a worthwhile capacity. Nothing worse that someone wondering what they should be doing to help. These folks were all trained and had a great desire to wear the uniform and be what they felt was a visible, worthy, and functioning part of the troop. We also had as many folks who worked behind the scenes, not directly with the boys, who wore no uniform and had no desire for title or position. But they were always there.

One of our ASM's gained his position and job by his career...a chef. He started with the troop being the head chef for the adult leaders on each and every trip. Then he gained a support group to help him. Then he became, with a couple from his group, the provider of the absolute best cooking and clean-up instruction for the boys. When the PLC found itself with a program plan that required instruction beyond what they could provide themselves in that regard, they knew exactly who to talk to for program assistance. Along the road, these trained adults expressed an interest in wearing the uniform of ths ASM, and there was no good reason to say no. Specific jobs, outside the normal BSA definition, but each supporting the SM in a unique fashion.

One of our ASM's, with military experience, found an interest in gear and equipment. He was trained and also had the desire to wear the uniform (no good reason to say no). He became what we referred to as the 'adult quatermaster'. His ASM job, in effect, was to watch over but not interfere with the troop and patrol QM's. He helped the Scouts design and construct the storage facilities for all troop gear. He also provided assistance and instruction when the PLC found the need. His knowledge of outdoor gear was invaluable in training.

I know of a troop in my area that has historically had almost as many ASM's as Scouts over the years. The committee is small, but the adult leadership is huge. The SM, long-toothed and enjoying every year of his tenure, regards the high number as allowing him to really attend to the boys, and not having to concern himself with much else, for there is an ASM assigned to a wide variety of tasks, some of which you've listed. This troop is quite the exception, no others that I know of continually maintain the numbers of adult leaders. And as I indicated, the numbers remain high because the trained volunteer adults each have a 'job'. None are either overwhelmed by the job, nor are they underwhelmed, wondering what they're supposed to do to support the SM. They are all incredibly interested in what they do.

A keep element in having many ASM's is being able let them do the job they want to do, recognizing their efforts from time to time as we do with the Scouts, but also making sure that they know the lay of the land...where their responsibilities lie so that the SM is still recognized as the person in the big chair.

There are many who will advocate sticking strictly with the book and placing the bulk of these things I've talked about in the committee's folder. Myself, I've always felt that if a person presents themselves to the troop and proves to be valuable doing a certain thing, and wants to be seen in the uniform as a visible 'part of the team', I will not deny that and would ask the committee to follow suit.

Must emphasize something that Saltheart and several others have touched on; that while its great to have a lot of trained and motivated adults they must concentrate on supporting the Scouts that are doing (or could be doing) those jobs. Of course its more difficult to work through the boys but thats the most important part of the job!

Bob

Let me give some background as to why I'm inquiring about the job descriptions. Our troop has come to the conclusion that there are really only two jobs we as adults must perform:

Signing forms & checks as required by BSA policy

Driving to and from activities

Everything else can be delegated to the scouts, as their skills and desires dictate. In our troop, we have really been striving for this to happen. We have scouts who prepare tour permits, permission slips, keep and post records to Troopmaster software, track troop equipment, maintain our web site, etc. Many times, these scouts need supervision and guidance when they run into situations beyond their ability to deal with.

In my experience, boys sometimes need close attention in fulfilling their junior leadership position. While I have a primary responsibility for their training, the ongoing operation of the troop sometimes warrants more attention than I can give a specific patrol leader. (We have 7 patrols and over 50 scouts) During meetings and outings, I have done a poor job of organizing adult Asst SM's since most questions and problems come to me while the Asst's spend their time in a group.

In addition, part of the core mission of our troop (and BSA) is "to prepare them to make ethical choices over their life time". In light of this, I strongly believe that each patrol should have an adult role model who can help them think about the ethical choices they have to make in their patrol, on the next outing, etc. They also become a resource to the patrol leader (much as I am to the SPL) in preparing for Patrol meetings and in leading their patrols.

While some of the positions outlined in my original post could be termed "committee" positions, most require direct interface with boys and the program. Many of our committee members are also Asst SM's who have been trained and are willing to wear the uniform. Most of the others on the committee are not willing to put in enough time to really guide the quartermaster, for example, on the acquisition, control and maintenance of troop equipment. This is something that I feel more comfortable in having an Asst SM who is involved in the program to work with the QM and ASPL.

Finally, I believe that one of the SM's most important functions is to be a "keeper of the flame" of the mission and vision of BSA in his troop. To be effective, I think a SM in a larger troop such as mine must delegate duties (but not responsibilities) to other SM to enable him to devote his time to the program and scouts.

I would agree with Saltheart that we should try to utilize the interests and skils of adults who volunteer. But I see a need to give more structure and purpose to an adult who volunteers.

I like the idea of a ASM (or 2, if possible) assigned to each patrol, even the regulr patrols. It gives each patrol a set adult(s) who will camp and do other outings with the Patrol. This is important to us as we move from doing so many Troop events to very few, and the dropped ones being replaced by Patrol events. the SM can't possibly be at all the Patrol campouts. We use Patrol ASMs to cover for the SM for most Patrol events.

We also naturally gravitated toward each ASM being a mentor, of sort, for Scout Skills and activities in which they have an interest or skill. One of our ASMs knows more about orienteering than all the rest of our Troop put together, so when a Scout (or couple of Scouts, usually) is preparing to demo compass skills and arranging Patrol competitions, it is this ASM who he goes to for guidance. Same for aquatics stuff, cooking, hiking, lashing, etc.

I like your philosophy about making the boys responsible for as much as you do. I've got our Scribe now handling all the advancement paperwork and placing orders for awards. Next winter, our QM will become responsible for purchasing replacement equipment and justifying the need for additional equipment to the committee. It will be a big jump when we try to get a boy to handle tour permits, as our Council is pretty tough on the ones the adults fill out, but that is the plan over the next few months, too.

One difficulty we have sometimes as it relates to ASMs is that we get so many of them, that we don't have enough dedicated committee members to do Boards of Review sometimes. As much as I think they would both make great ASMs, I've coerced two great guys into staying on the committee just so I have adults I can count on to help with BORs.

And one other slight contrast between your ideas and ours. Although all SMs and ASMs are asked to attend Committee Meetings, they are technically not "on the committee" in our Troop. I seem to remember in my training that this is the way Troop adults are organized, and that is the way we've done it since before I got to my position.

Good luck!

Mark

Mark

Thanks for the input and encouragement. Our Council is tough on tour permits as well. Even though we have a scout who prepares them, we still have adults who review, sign and submit them to the Council office. The big key is that the scout is responsible for preparation.

I agree with your comments that ASMs are technically not on the committee. Many of our ASMs attend the committee meeting each month. They are primarily involved in the troop program and do not have a vote on the committee. Fortunately, we have enough other adults to conduct BOR's.

I'm considering having a periodic meeting with the ASM's (perhaps monthly) to review just the program. The committee tends to get bogged down in support stuff like maintaining our troop bus, insurance, fund raisers, etc. I think having a separate meeting focused on the troop program and scouts needs would be a more appropriate use of ASM and SM time.

Thanks again.

Jerry

We also have such a meeting. In our Troop, it's called a tavern meeting, becuase we sit around our SM's nicley appointed rec room bar when we do this. We have the SM, the ASMs, me (advancement chair), and often the SPL ans ASPL. It is at this meeting that the Scoutmaster corps and the youth leadership determine what issues they need to bring to the adult committee.

Thanks for your kind words.

Mark