The first girl Eagle Scout

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OGE,

Now there you go again feeding those rumor mills and starting the flamers going, lol.

But I have to agree with the rumor it is way overdue, especially after spending the last six years with a coed venturing crew.

Boy scouts have constantly studied if they should admit females and at what level in the program. Any organization the size of the Boy Scouts constantly looks at its membership, looks at future things and the whole program. If you don't you will surely fade away.

So do I think they are studying the issue again, you bet. What will the oucme be, who the heck knows. Is there anything I can do to influence the decisions to be made, probably not and why worry. What ever comes down the pipeline we will adapt, always have, always will

If we use the Venturing model, if national does decide to include girls, then the COs will have the option of maintaining all male troops, create coed troops, or create all girl troops.

Now how the indivual units handle things could be the key. As some know, my sea explorer ship back in the day was coed, and there were some challenges. However after seeing UK and other associations' coed units as well as a few crews in the US, i'ld give it a shot.

Eagle92,

I am willing to bet that the only group that will even be given that option is the LDS church. In fact I bet that the option you refer to will be dropped in venturing as well in the near future, mainly because coed means just that, the program is designed for both boys and girls to participate equally. I am sure it will be legally challenged as well if the boy scout troops do indeed go coed. Time will tell, and the only ones who will get rich will be the lawyers,lol.

BP,

I would have to disagree as the CO does have a major say in how units do things as they own the unit. One example I know of is a CO wanted a member of their church as SM, and they turned down a non-member for that role who the parents and scouts wanted. Bad move on the COs part, yep, BUT it is their program.

Also from my brief experience with the UK's Scout Association, that is how it is done: troops can be all male ( I saw a few of those) all female (saw 1 of those), or coed (saw the most of).

Not necessarily. You have boys in troops now who still move into Venturing.

I think eventually, BSA will change the program to break it up into different age/grade groups. You will start with Cubs, move into Boy Scouts, then into Venturing. No overlap, just flow from one to the other as we do now from Cubs to Boy Scouts.

They might even split Cubs and Venturing into 2 so there is a youngest and an oldest group. Something like -

Tadpoles K-2

Cubs 3-5

Boy Scouts 6-8

Venturing 9-12

Rangers post HS age 19-21

OGE,

If they did this they may lower the upper limit of Scouting to 14 or 15. I read somewhere that someone proposed lowerign the max age into Scouting so that Venturing numbers would grow, kinda like what they did in the 1950s or 60s with Explorers if memory serves. Once you hit X age, you are automatically aged out and need to join a crew.

I'm justing reporting what I read, I believe it was on some Innovation ideas website.

OGE,

If they did this they may lower the upper limit of Scouting to 14 or 15. I read somewhere that someone proposed lowerign the max age into Scouting so that Venturing numbers would grow, kinda like what they did in the 1950s or 60s with Explorers if memory serves. Once you hit X age, you are automatically aged out and need to join a crew.

I'm justing reporting what I read, I believe it was on some Innovation ideas website.

Discussion keeps getting closer to the UK model. Scouts age out of Scouts about 14 and move into Explorer (14-18) and from there to Scout Network (18-25). Scouts must be in Explorers or Scout Network to earn Queen's Scout. Queen's Scout is considered equivalent to Eagle but requirements are very different. http://www.scouts.org.uk/network/awards/queenscout.html

Imagine scouts having to 26th birthday to earn Eagle...

Hal

Back in the dark ages when I went to join the Boy Scout Troop I was told that I could not join it because I was 14 years old. And all boys 14 years or older would be joining the Explorer Post, which I did. Had a great time. And earned the Explorer Silver Award.

Changing the age band for Boy Scouts makes sense to me. End it at 14. If a scout wishes to continue, he does so as a Venture scout. We have a hard time keeping the 14+ active, so why not just roll with it. Allow a scout to continue working on Eagle until 18 as a Venture if he doesn't complete it as a Boy Scout. That would be a huge boost to Venturing.

Now, for the girls. Why not. Just make Scouting co-ed, across all age bands. Local option on how to impliment it.