The first girl Eagle Scout

"PING emb021:

"What say you, Sir?"

Well, I was at NOAC, but busy the whole time at the Experience co-running the APO Booth.

Most of the stuff I heard was about upcoming OA events and stuff about the Jamboree site (all of which, AFAIK, is now public knowledge). Heard NOTHING about Venturing.

I was disappointed that they didn't have a Venturing booth. None of the Venturing Cabinet where there (unlike past years). They had the Sea Scouts represented by Keith Christopher (Nat Director of Sea Scouts), but that was it. I chatted a little with Keith, but nothing new or different coming from them, tho he is working to try to get a Skipper & Crew Leader manual, even if its done on a CD or on-line, along with a new Sea Scout manual. IMO, this is a perfect example of why getting rid of the Divisions was stupid...

Because I have heard that there are issues with allowing girls to get Eagle (been so since Exploring went co-ed) as well as joining the OA, I find such rumours dubious. Am not willing to call BS on them, but I'll not spread them until I get more concrete info.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find this very hard to believe. My understanding is that Venturing has its own system of awards and recognitions and that Venturers could only continue working on Boy Scout advancement only until their 18th birthday and only if they had earned First Class in a Troop prior to joining a Crew. The latter would seem to preclude girls, and I really don't see any rationale that the BSA would consider that would change this.

I think this whole story is wishful thinking on somebody's part.

I asked several people from our area that were at NOAC, they heard nothing of the kind, in fact they said any discussion about venturing and the OA were squelched real quick.

Another scouting urban legend

Too bad it's not true (at this point). There would be quite a rush of girls wanting to join Venturing. GSA can't compete with the BSA on many levels, and girls know it. My daughter refuses to go back to Girl Scouts ("all we do is glue popsicle sticks") and is counting the days till she's old enough to join Venturing.

I've been a volunteer leader in both organizations. The girls want to experience the same things the Boy Scouts do. And they are up to the challenge. Unfortunately, they have to wait till they are 14 to participate.

dg98adams mentioned changing the name to "Scouts" should this happen...got me thinking of the green 1970s uniform I wore as a scout, where the patch above the right pocket (my right your left) indeed said "Scouts." An adult told me when I was a scout this was done in anticipation of BSA going coed (those from early/mid 1970s may recall that debate).

I'm not sure why the BSA has taken this long to be more coed. Yes, I'm well aware of all the traditional reasons put forth against going coed, but I respectfully disagree with them. The sooner young men and women learn to serve together, the better off they will all be in the long run.

"dg98adams mentioned changing the name to "Scouts" should this happen...got me thinking of the green 1970s uniform I wore as a scout, where the patch above the right pocket (my right your left) indeed said "Scouts." An adult told me when I was a scout this was done in anticipation of BSA going coed (those from early/mid 1970s may recall that debate). "

I still have a "Scouts/USA" strip and a decal.

Ed Palmer

I have a daughter that is in the Girl Scouts and I think that their outdoor program is just fine. They have been camping and to camporees. They have also had a basics of canoeing day and other activities. So the idea of the GSUSA not being an outdoors group is stictly Unit based. What would we tell someone who was not happy with the level of activity in their BSA troop. Find a new one that fits your program desires.

I have no Problem with Girls in Venturing. Kind of the branch of what we had for exploring. I am fine with the venturing program. I look forward to the day that my daughter can join the venture crew that is in the same church as her GSUSA Troop. She is also looking forward to being able to go to some of the high adventure bases.

Eagle scout has been a BOY Scout rank for just under 100 years. Why is it we are trying to change 100 years of tradition just because girls cannot get it. I feel that iss the only reason. It is something that we have and they want it too.

Why does everyone want to change things these days???

Thank you DR77

Sorry if I come across harsh and stuff. But I think that there are just too many people trying to get into organizations that were not designed for them. Why can't people just let it be. Instead of trying to move in and take over a set organization, look at what you have, and try to improve it.

Reading the last few postings makes me think of Wood Badge beads for NYLT. There seems to be pretty strong feelings about the Eagle badge. Just for the sake of argument in relation to the Eagle... why not allow Gold Award Girl Scouts to wear the Eagle knot if they join BSA? Similarly, let's allow Venturers to achieve that knot up to age 21.

Why not? Tradition.

Why isn't "tradition" a good enough answer regarding the beads?

Not to start a new argument. Just something that occured to me as I was reading.

BDPT00

There have been changes in who was eligible to earn Eagle. For a time, adults could earn Eagle rank and that was changed. Also the rules changed allowing handicapped scouts to earn Eagle.

I'd like to see girls earn Eagle, hell I'd like to see some of the Eagles in my District earn Eagle.

My $0.02

You know Girl Scout Troops are very different than Boy Scout Troops.

In my area, with the way I see my daughters Troop.... Those girls don't change Troops. Other Girl Troops don't recruit (or appear to want) new girls like Boy Scouts do. The Girls in her Troop are all the same age, and the Troop dwindles as they get older. Most of the girls (and most of the mom's are not campers.....).

I know only 1 year they did a 3-day summer camp, but it appeared to be for 3rd-4th grade level events other than archery.