Commissioner College and Venturing

I have been asked to teach a class at our upcoming College of Commissioner Science, specifically MCS 308 Venturing and the Commissioner.

I have found some files online, including a power point presentation, but the to call the material thin inaccurate, as it contains 8 slides on general Venturing and a single slide with 6 bullet points on commissioner issues. Hardly an hour's worth of presentation for what will likely be a very small class.

Any suggestions on where I can find some more material?

PM me, I will put you in touch with one of my Council's ACCs who is charged with Venturing support, as well as my District Venturing RT commish (I know, I know, that ain't the PC term, deal with it).

Where is your commish college site and when? Family matters had me 1500 miles away from mine this spring.

I had to do a similiar session. I basically mined my data on Venturing, and did a sort of hour-long intro to Venturing, but geared to what I felt the commissioners should know. I found a presentation someone else did aimed at Commissioners, and did some updating and minor revisions and used it.

Some of the areas I touched on:

* What is Venturing (including crews specializing, uniform, etc)

* Crew operations (how crew is organized)

* Venturing advancement (plus how Venturers can earn Eagle)

* Venturing training (youth & adult)

At many points I had to emphasis how Venturing is different from Cub/Boy Scouting.

Good info. I agree, there needs to be some background, but the focus, in my opinion is exactly what the MCS 308 course title states: Venturing and the Commissioner. I think I should be focusing on what Venturing crews need from their commissioner, and what a commissioner can offer for a crew. I also expect my audience to be familiar with the Ventruing program, which around here is very small (10 or less active crews in the whole council, including 2 ships). The only other commissioners I know of who work with Venturing are advisors to a crew they organized several years ago.

What our council needs, more than anything is more crews and a push to grow the program (the potential here is truly untapped), but I do not feel that a Commissioner College course is the place to push that agenda, or at least not hard.

"I also expect my audience to be familiar with the Ventruing program"

I've found that you can't expect that.

Thus the need to go over the high-level basics of Venturing, and encourage them to consider attending Venturing Leader Specific Training for more indepth info.

Its important that Commissioner have a decent understand of what Venturing is (and isn't) so they can better serve their units. Simple as that.

• 1 year later...

"* What is Venturing (including crews specializing, uniform, etc)

* Crew operations (how crew is organized)

* Venturing advancement (plus how Venturers can earn Eagle)

* Venturing training (youth & adult)"

I'm about to teach this so appreciate the comments. I will especially talk about the Methods, and how they differ from the Scouts'.

This is good stuff, but not much different than VLST. Of course you need to recap some basics, but I think commissioners need to know some council-specific stuff:

Who needs a crew? (Talk about some of the back-and-forth that was typed on these other threads. Selling points to a scoutmaster/youth leader, etc... Possibly identify some CO's that have yet to be approached.)

What are the top 5 crews in your council doing this year?

Names and contact info for the council venturing officers association advisor, committee chair, and executive (whatever you have).

My crew got a good "jump start" by partnering with another crew on a Philmont trip. So I feel the whole issue of networking is a bigger deal when commissioning a crew vs. a troop. Add this to your syllabus, and I think you've got a primo class.