Letters from the Front

For those who think their job as a BSA leader doesn't pay off and you're on the verge of burning out, here's a letter I received and would like to pass along to the rest of the forum and other members of my crew.

Gentlemen,

I recieved a letter from Pvt. JA yesterday. It's short and I will transcribe it here.

"I received the letter from you and the Poor Boys Mess. I really appreciated it. Actually I would like to thank you for my experiences in the Venture Crew. A lot of things that I was taught thru reenacting have really helped me out here; like discipline and leadership abilties. .......He goes on....

"Life here is okay. It's not hard @ all, you are told what to do, all day long.

"Believe it or not, Venture Crew is a lot more disciplined than my platoon. People don't know how to stand still or march properly; even after being shown how to.

"I graduted basic April 23, but I'm OSUT trainin so I went right into AIT w/o any time off. I'm a combat engineer, so I deal mostly with explosives. Last week we blew up C4, TNT, H6 i Ammonium Nitrate. It's Awesome!

"I graduate everything June 5, then I come home. I plan on continuing in the crew as an advisor; so hopefully I'll see you in June! Until then, enfoy your spring and God bless!

"Your obedieant servant,

"PV2 JA

>>> Pv2 JA is Brevet Lt. JA in the crew 6 years ago, this is the same man that stood toe-to-toe with me and told me flat out he didn't want to be a leader in the crew. I told him I wasn't going to except that and promoted him under protest to corporal in the crew.

Stosh

Capt. Co B. 2nd WI Infantry Volunteers, Reenactors

Advisor Crew 2 (Military Reenactors) BSA