Can someone briefly explain Venturing to me?

emb021 what you seem not to understand is that National has a lot of people in positions they know very little about, just like the government. Just because Bill Evans tells you something on the phone doesn't make it correct or even official BSA policy. It is obvious to most veteran scouters that National does a poor job in editing their publications or even putting out a coherant policy and those of us in field are left to our own devices.

I have been to National many times, talked face to face to the so called experts and was shocked to see just how little most of them understood the programs they were responsible for. One of them even admitted to me that he really didn't understand his new position to answer any questions, and that he had just been thrown into this position because his other job had been eliminated. Not to mention names but he was placed in charge of one of the former program divisions. So quoting some guy from National really doesn't mean anything.

Just an Observation,

if National is all confused and nothing can be trusted that comes from there ( and I don't)how much less certain is information that does not come from the center of scouting? Is not all information regarding any program just hear se at the moment?

"Just because Bill Evans tells you something on the phone doesn't make it correct or even official BSA policy."

Well, considering that Bill Evans was the #2 pro of the Venturing Division, and one of 2 pros responsible for the Venturing program (along with a handful of volunteers), he's pretty correct about the Venturing program. IMO, he's one of only 2-3 pros I feel understands the program because he is responsible for the program.

Nothing was said about trust OGE, they are just people trying to interpret materials they did not write and may not understand fully or correctly but have to explain to volunteers and the press, and with all the recent turnovers and changes in positions at National recently getting a straight or correct answer is not always easy. We had the assistant Chief Scout Exec at a recent council event, a nice guy but clearly in a position way over his head, and that's where the problem lies, he would not give a direct answer to any question, kinda like a politician. Everything is heresay until it happens.

emb21

Being responsible does not necessarily mean knowledgeable, read my prior post,but then ask yourself why did National just restructure the sea scout National board if they were not planning an eventual split?

"Being responsible does not necessarily mean knowledgeable"

'responsible' in this case means he had a major hand in writing and developing the program. That, IMO, means being knowledgable. We're not taking about someone who just signed off on stuff.

"ask yourself why did National just restructure the sea scout National board if they were not planning an eventual split?"

Sorry, but a restruction IMO does not mean an eventual split. I think some are reading waaay too much into things. One could say the same thing about the OA, as its now no longer under the Boy Scout Committee, which was the main reason given why they wouldn't allow it to go co-ed and vote in male & female venturers.

emb021 you can argue all you want but time will reveal the truth. You see I worked for Mazzuca and know how he thinks and the MO he likes to use and I know your buddy Bill and his buddies at National will be in for quite a surprise.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to get off the topic of the competency level of the folks at National or anything... but...

I think I have enough of an understanding now to kind of understand. The boys are really serious about forming the Venturing Crew. 3 of the 4 most active boys in my son's patrol will turn 18 sometime within the next 8 months. My son's only 15. They are putting this together themselves, and seeking out adult leaders. My son asked me and my husband (on behalf of the other boys) last night to be adult leaders in the crew. I look forward to assisting them in a truly boy-run program, unlike how their troop is currently being run. My husband has been so disenchanted with the adult-led program that he walked away as ASM several years ago and hasn't been back; he's excited to get on board to help advise a group of self-sufficient young men in THEIR program.

I think my son and any of the other boys currently in Scouting that they eventually attract to the crew will want to continue working on ranks. So the Crew will need availability of merit badge counselors, correct? I presume these don't have to be part of the Crew leadership. Can Crew leaders who are NOT registered through a Troop still be MB counselors?

-Liz

in reference tot he YOUTH trying to organize the crew: I LOVE IT!!!!!! That happened with my old troop and the crew was viable.

As for MBCs an MBS is a registered member of the District committee. While they can state they will only work with XYZ unit, they are registered via the district committee, not the troop. So to answer your question, ANYONE registered as a MBC can be used, so you don't need to recruit your own, unless there isn't one available via the district committee.

Just remember you will need a CO for the crew, and that entails a IH, COR, CC, 2MCs and you and your husband.

So, the boys will need to approach a potential CO -- perhaps the one who charters our Boy- and Cub- scout troops. If they get turned down (they're not the friendliest CO around), I think I'll encourage them to try my church. It's further away from the neighborhood where our boys live, but I don't see any reason why they'd have to actually drive over there very often.

Thanks for the help, folks.

-Liz

they way my old troop worked it out was the following. When SPL found out that the Venturing Crew was a completely separate thing from a then Venture Crew, now Venture Patrol, and that they were ineligible for Ranger, etc. he got the Venture Crew/patrol, along with adults 18-21, and worked out a way to create a Venturing Crew. They wrote by-laws stating that the purpose of the crew was to help the troop AND give expanded opportunities to the older guys. Talked to the appropriate folks and viola got the crew started. Their meetings were during the troop's patrol corners portion of the meeting, and did everythign with the troop, except they had their own campsite away from the patrols, except SPL. Also they did one activity per quarter on hteir own.

While many Venturing Crews are "high adventure" oriented, not all of them are. That is one of the nice things about Venturing, a Crew can specialize.

Who the boys ask to be their CO can depend a lot on what kind of a Crew they want to be. If they are interested in sailing/boating they can contact an area yacht, or sailing club, to charter a Sea Scout Ship. If they are interested in religious service they can contact an area church to be their CO. Community service, Kiwanis or another service club. If they are interested in reenactments, your local Society of Creative Anachronism might be interested. The Civil Air Patrol has chartered Crews interested in flying. If it is outdoor adventure they are after they can look into conservation clubs, a local outfitter, local hunting/fishing/gun clubs, or even local sporting goods stores.

A CO does not have to be a non-profit. A business that wants to make an impact on the community they are in can make a fine CO.

Good Luck!

Liz,

In addition to your own church, you might consider seeking out the area VFW or American Legion posts. Both have national missions to support Scouting.

Get with your DE. There are tools to help the young people organize their Crew. One of them is an "interest inventory". It will help them focus what they want to do.

There's also a fair amount of training support available, both for the youth and you as a leader. Ask your DE to put you in touch with the Council "Venturing Officers Association" leadership. In startup, you may need to ask for some help in the first leadership training cycle, but after that, things should roll pretty well.

Venturing is not necessarily defined around a weekly meeting. Working sessions indoors may only happen once or twice a month. The activities are the deeper thing.

Finally, the youth have several options on how they want to do advancement and recognition (as I stated in my first reply, RECOGNITION is the method in Venturing). Young men who complete First Class may continue to Eagle in the Boy Scout system to their 18th birthday, but do not have to. If your youth elect to go co-ed, women are foreclosed that path. They and you will want to look at the recognition system of Venturing, as well as the recognition systems in their high schools.

I'm really glad to see their (and your) interest in this :)

Thank you so much for all your help in this, folks! I'm trying to stay out of the way and let the boys do the organizing, but I feel I need to know what's going on so I can help steer a little when absolutely necessary (or, preferably, when ASKED).

I will let the boys know about the interest inventory. Our DE has been unusually un-helpful in other areas, so that is a bit of a last resort as far as I'm concerned. If the boys would like us to, we might be able to just pick one up from the front desk at the local council office.

-Liz