Crew has found a small niche

The crew that we started almost a year ago has made a name for itself in a small way. I work for a larger fire dept in my county so I was able to bring the crew to my station on some of my duty days and trained the members to the First Responder level in first aid. They also got a tour of the apparatus, the ambulance, and the medical helicopter at the airport 2 miles away.

After they were trained, the crew was asked to participate the the district fall camporee as medical staff for approximately 200-250 scouts. We got together several fannie packs and made first aid kits out of them, plus they made T-shirts to ID themselves. At the camporee we divided the crew into teams of two, and let them rove through the camporee checking on the events. My wife, who is medical assistant, and I stayed in a central location with a more comprehensive kit in case of something major. We kept in communication with FRS radios. To make a long story short the crew treated 8 scouts, sending one to the hospital for stitches.

They did such a good job they were asked again to be the medcal staff for the spring district camporee, which took place this past weekend. This time everything was minor and no trips to the hosital. At the SPL meeting Saturday night there was nothing but praise from the scoutmasters. The crew did themselves well.

We have also been asked if the crew would be interested in helping as medical staff for the council camporee in the fall, because of the reputation they have already attained. To say the least I am one proud advisor of my crew.(This message has been edited by clc5105)

When I started an ambulance service in a small town in Iowa back in the 80's, our vehicle purchase was an old hearse style ambulance from a Medical Explorer Post. It's good to see such activity is still strong and continuing on a great tradition.

Stosh

The crew hasn't expressed to me that they would like to advance their training any further. The First Responder should have satisfied the Core and Elective requirements for the Ranger Award. I know they do enjoy being medical staff. I think most of the scouts like it becuase the crew is mostly made up of girls (6 girls and 4 guys). The crew also participated in the closing Campfire on Saturday night with skits and a song. As far as fun things go, we have a trip to St. Augustine planned for June and a trip to Alexander Springs in August, with what ever day trips they come with in between.

Great Job. It is nice to know that there are crews doing great things. I know when I was a police explorer, we helped with parking and stuff.

As for more training, I know in NC you have to be 18 to take an EMT course. But if you are interested in some more medical work, maybe you can check with your local EMS company and see if they need some help with disaster training. This may be somethign that could be interesting for all to see.

• 3 weeks later...

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=392733971&albumId=1272474

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=392733971&albumId=1306659

Some pictures of the first aid training and the fall camporee. (Sorry about having to copy & paste)

(This message has been edited by clc5105)

• 6 months later...

A short story:

Well, this past weekend Gulf Ridge Council held their Council Camporee, 99 in '09, to kick off the upcoming 100th year of scouting. The crew was asked to be the medical Staff for the event, which was attended by approximately 1500 people.

After getting to the camp site Friday evening, and setting up in the rain, the crew stayed up talking into the evening. When I returned from the 10:30 pm Scoutmaster meeting they were all asleep. Then about 5:00 am the area experienced either a microburst or a small tornado, along with heavy rain. Rainflys were ripped of tents, shelters were twisted, mangled, and strewn about the area. Most of the crew's extra clothing, sleeping bags, and personal gear was soaked, along with every other troop that was there. Personally the only thing my wife and I suffered was a snapped pole on our tent. During the opening ceremony (still in the rain) it was announced that a trailer would be sent around to pick up debris.

After the opening ceremony the crew put on their fanny pack first aid kits, got their radios, and went off to the events. They did this with out any complaints. I know they were cold and wet, but they said that they were there for a reason and they were going to do their job. I was so proud of them.

Even though the rain stopped about noon it was still overcast and the forecast for that night was cloudy and temps. in the low 40's to high 30's. there was no way I was going to make them stay in those temps., with wet gear. So during the day I told them to take turns going back to camp and taking their tents down, load them in my truck, then come back to the medical tent for hot chocolate.

After all that there was still no complaints, and they still went back for the afternoon events. We left the campsite about 6:00 pm.

I know I've told the board before, but I am so pround of this crew.

Sounds exactly like the old Explorer Post I was proud to be a member of in the early 70's. We were chartered by a Vol Fire and Rescue Squad, and they gave us a 1959 Cadillac Ambulance to use (think Ghostbusters!). We staffed all district events, OA events and even for other districts. Our advisor was a member of the VFD so he and the ambulance were fully licensed should a trip to the hospital be necessary. Our older members could join the VFD when they turned 18, but couldn't drive equipment until 21. From the ages of 14-18, we trained just like the full members...back then it was ARC standard and advanced First Aid, and First Aid instructor (I was the youngest ARC instructor in the area at age 16). We also could take all the firefighter and rescue training. We learned a lot, had a blast, and provided a valuable service. Those were still my best days in "Scouting".