Venturing beyond the unit

Just a quick question...

There is going to be regional forum for Venturing to explore the creation of activities at the regional level. My daughter volunteered to attend for the council, and had a simple question. Could she wear silver loops at this conference. We have no Council level youth organization for Venturing, beyond the units, which I hope the council will be rectifying, this year.

Respectfully, it is the youth (not the council) who are responsible for organizing a Venture Officers' Association (VOA). But this is a chicken and egg situation. If the venturers do not know what the VOA is or that it can exist, how are they supposed to organize it or know what to organize. We are at that point now, and through our Venturing Forum, the venturers are taking ownership of their training and activities. I am working to "foster" a VOA. We may have to introduce it to them, but they must act and create it.

I was the council president of the EPA (Explorer President's Association) for 2 years back in the day. This was the equivelant of the VOA today, so I have some expertise in this area. Few folks in or out of scouting know what this was (or in the case of VOA is), but I consider this my most significant achievement in scouting, even over my Eagle and all my palms.  It really helped mold me into who I am now.  Far more leadership experience than being ship's bosun, troop SPL, National Jamboree contingent troop PL or 2 years on camp staff (combined).

Working with getting VOA (Venturing Officer Associations) going in 2 councils, expecting the youth to be responsible for organzing them is a little naive. You need adults to drive their formation and help them get going. BUT, you have to have adults who understand Venturing and will allow the Venturers to properly run the VOA. It very hard to get venturers to step up and being VOA members, even more so getting the really good ones.

Now, my view on the wearing of silver loops by youth is that I would ONLY expect the VOA officers (either district or council) to wear them (and expect them not to wear unit numbers, if possible), not every member of the VOA (because I view VOA as representative groups formed of members from every crew/ship). Others may disagree, but I don't think its important enought to argue about.

Since your daughter IS serving as your council's rep to the regional forum (or regional voa), one could argue that she could wear the silver loops. While you certainly don't need my permission or anyone elses, I won't have a problem of her doing so. If your regional forum is formed of council reps, I think all of them should wear silver loops, even if they don't have council VOA. I would think that regional forum officers can wear gold (the regional & area venturing presidents do).