Gold and Silver Advancement

I am an old time scouter, but rather new to venturing; and I am totally confused by what the crew review really is.

Based on the book it appears that the president and the Advisor select a pannel to review the accomplishments of the candidate and that is it. However, my council seems to have different views and are not the same. Some say that only council representatives can sit on the review pannel, and yet others say that venturers can sit on it if they already have the award and are over 18. Everytime I ask my people at my council I seem to get a different answer.

HElP.

No district or council person is required to be on the review committee for eoither the Gold or the Silver Award in Venturing.

The Crew President and Crew Advisor are instructed to selct a review committee of four to six persons including Ventureres and adults to review the written application and interviwew the Scout. The application is then approved by the crew Advisor and the crew committee chairman and sent to the council office to be recorded.

This information is available in the Venturing Leader Handbook and Ventruring Leader Specific Training.

BW is correct.

The problem is you have people in your council who think the Gold and Silver reviews should be run like a Eagle BOR. They are not!

I believe in addition to the resources BW gave, that the Advancement Guideline booklet also covers this information, and is the guide that the District/Council Advancement Committees are REQUIRED to be following. Be advised they do revamp this book at least once a year.

As was already said, this is not like an Eagle BoR. But it is absolutely necessary that the crew review (board) be a combination of adults and youth. This is, in part, a review by peers. In my experience, being reviewed by one's peers places more pressure on the candidate. Don't be surprised if the youth ask even more pointed questions than the adults.