Confused about Supervision Policy

"A reasonable person could interpret that to mean that coed daytime activities, such as a day hike or trip, do not require both male and female adult leaders (or even adult leaders, period). "

A reasonable person would be half right.

Coed day activities do not require coed adult leadership, just two-deep adult leadership.

BW writes: As far as a Ship or a Ship's crew (the equivalent of a patrol in a troop) having an outing or activity without adult supervision and having it be a Scout activity. According to the BSA you are correct, that would be prohibited.

Kahuna asks "And can you show us exactly where that is written?"

I can show you where it is not mentioned as an exception to the two-depp leadershipo rule.

The only exception mention in any handbook or any portion of YP training is for Boy Scout Patrols.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Back to my question above: if just three co-ed members of the crew (ages 15, 17, and 17; all are crew officers: treasurer, secretary, and v.p.) carried out a service project in a public park only about 150 yards from where the adults were, was this a violation of anything? They knew where we were, we knew where they were, we had cell phones and visual contact, and there was another (albeit not a Scouter) adult present who was monitoring them.

P.S.: The project was helping with a benefit concert for the public to enjoy (jazz, country, bluegrass bands) and we're getting flack from some other local scouters for no adult leader being present - at the kids' sides - for just trying to help out when asked by our community.

"if just three co-ed members of the crew (ages 15, 17, and 17; all are crew officers: treasurer, secretary, and v.p.) carried out a service project in a public park only about 150 yards from where the adults were, was this a violation of anything?"

Why would it be? You said there were adult leaders present right?

Thei ages and offices are irrelevant. and since it is not an overnight activity their gender is not relevant either. They are crew members at a crew activity, so it requires two deep leadership.

Just to clarify in my own befuddled head...

A Boy Scout patrol can go on a 5-mile day hike, or any similar outing, without adult leadership if permission is given.

A Venturing Crew can't, because G2SS only lists one exception to the rule, and crews aren't it.

That about right??

boy, is my face red, and not from sunburn. I meant to say "properly approved by the scoutmaster of course" and it came out "probably approved by the scoutmaster of course".

Dang, I am not sure why the BSA is afraid of a group of 17-20 year olds out without adult supervision but has no problem with 12-15 year olds out without supervision. I'll have to contact National to get a ruling