Ranger Handbook resources - copy and paste?

While recently reading the Ranger Handbook, I noticed that on page 66, the Resources list for the Watercraft elective included the notation "Buy the book today!" for six such books listed. Seemed rather odd.

It appears that someone from Crew 369 of Columbus, Ohio, posted information from the Handbook, including requirements, on its Web site (http://post369.columbus.oh.us/index.01.html), and included links so folks could buy the books online. Then someone editing or compiling the new Handbook copied and pasted those lists verbatim (obviously without the help of copy editors).

The big question this raises to me is whether the resources listed underwent any vetting whatsoever, or if the entire book is a copy-and-paste job.

Anyone have any insight?

Fuuuny.

Reminds me of a recent discussion I had via email with someone from the Venturing Division (before they got rid of), where I was pointing out some errors in some documents. As I usually have to be my own editor for my own documents, I try to be fairly careful. He was more lax about it, because he figured the copy editors at National would catch it. Uh huh.

• 5 weeks later...

Uh, as you are from the Czech Republic, I think you would want to get the Venturer Handbook put out by your scout association. I seriously doubt you would get much value from the one put out by the Boy Scouts of America.

Ok.

Well, the easiest way would be to just order it from the BSA. We have an on-line catalog, Scout Stuff (http://www.scoutstuff.org) that you should be able to order it from.

Books you'd probably want to get:

Venturer Handbook/Ranger Handbook, #33494

Quest Award Handbook, #33151

TRUST Award Handbook, #33154

Venturing Leader Manual, #34655E

I too am concerned about the quality of the Ranger Handbook. To think that the same organization generated the BSA Handbook and the BSA Fieldbook. Which begs the question, why isn't there the equivilant of the BSA Fieldbook for the Venture program?

Don't know about the current ed of the fieldbook, but the 2nd ed. had lots of great info for both Scouts and Explorers. Look through the book and you see pics of both groups of young men, in uniform, throughout the book.

"Which begs the question, why isn't there the equivilant of the BSA Fieldbook for the Venture program?"

Why should the in-troop Venture program have a separate Fieldbook? And why should we care, as we're dealing with the Venturing program?

The current BSA Fieldbook is for Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, and Venturers.

However, I have to agree with another poster that I think the 2nd edition is much better then the current one. That's the one I had as a scout & explorer.