Approached about starting a crew

I recently moved into an area and through adults quiting and such have become a Webelos Den Leader. At one of our meetings, I was chatting with the DE and told him a little about my Scouting past. The last place I lived in I was a Wolf Den Leader and a Venture Crew Advisor. I enjoyed the Advisor role alot. Went on my 1st 50 miler in 20+ years and was impressed by the youth in the Crew. My son is going on 11 and moving into Boy Scouts. I want to move up with him when he goes.

Back to my chat with the DE. Out District currently has no Venture Crews. There are 4 or 5 Boy Scout Troops that I know of. He asked what I thought of starting up a Venture Crew. I've been pondering the idea and really would like to do it. My question is, being new to the area, how do I start? How do I approach the Scout Masters? The youth are there, I see them everywhere, lol. I belive it would be a great program for this area.

You start with your own interests. What are they? Do you want to just do the stuff (as far as the outdoor program) that Boy Scouts do, or do you want to go down different rabbit holes and explore?

What do you want in terms of gender? Boys only, girls only, or co-ed?

Once you have a vision, you need to see if the vision and the reality of youth in the area match up. You may find the kids want to do road rallies. There's a tool called the interest inventory. Through area churches and high schools, you push it out.

When you have a convergence of what youth want to do and what you want to do, then you start talking about creating a unit.

Okay, so you touched on one of my hot buttons. I know that there are many successful troop splinters into crews. I personally support creating an independent crew.

Find an affinity group of youth. They can be connected through almost anything. Mountain Biking, Hiking, Climbing, LAN Parties, Robotics, Aviation, Coin Collecting, Bible Studies, Community Service, Gourmet Cooking, etc. They may already know each other or they may resond to a call for people who want to do... Help them to connect and present some of the benefits of being a crew, like BSA resources/facilities, college applications, reconition. offer to be an adult resource in their life. Not someone who will provide a program, but someone who will be there for them as they develop their own program. Someone who will encourage them, not criticize them.

Then connect them with a Charter Org, even one that already exists. In our area, this is rarely a problem. If there is a group of adults with similar affinities, all the better.

So many Scoutmasters think that Venturing Crews are simply Scout stealers. Taking the mature scouts. Yes, it is a great way to re-engage a disconnected Scout, but for the most part, let's find new people.

http://www.powayventuring.com

I have to agree with BSAChaplain. VenturING Crews that are nothing more then adjuncts to troops are rarely very strong or successful. Too often they are forced to be secondary to the troops program and are never able to succeed on their own.

Its fine for crews to work with troops, but too tightly coupled is usually a formula for failure.

BSAChaplain, thanks very much for your input. There is no Crew in our District, I have been researching various groups to find a niche. I am now working with the DE and will be contacting the Boy Scout and Girl Scout leaders in the area for recruiting. I am following the Boyce guidleines for starting a new unit and will continue to use those as a guideline. I have been asked by the DE to be the Advisor, due to work schedule, I don't want to commit to it and not be able to do it. I believe I should follow the guidlines and form the commitee then look for the Advisor, although I know my name will be put in the hat. I really believe that Venturing is a very good program for the teen youth of today and see the void in our area. If any of you have anymore advice shoot it my way. Thanks!