Plans are in place. Two instructors, five students, all set for our first Leadership Cruise. The Venturing Leadership Course will be part one in our summer series of Leadership Cruises aboard our 26' Nordic Tug cruising along the Upper Lake. Should be a very beneficial and participatory day cruise. All the youth will benefit in a stress free environment, and none will go home failing the course. We'll then run a weekend cruise for Kodiak and a two week end Kodiak X cruise. So, do the make VLSC patches in white?

VLSC patches are basically white. White background with green border.

Kodiak is not a weekend course. Its a 2 weekend or weeklong course. If you're going to do Kodiak, please follow the syllabus.

Kodiak X can only be given by a council or district, not a ship/crew. AFAIK, you need to have gone thru Kodiak/Kodiak X CDC.

There are on-line resources for Kodiak/Kodiak X, including a Yahoo Group. If you are interested in this course, I recommend you get involved with the Group.

Alright, I'll give you that one. Kodiak at Sea will be a two weekend long leadership cruise. As far as making it a council course, what's the diff? It's still going to be our instructors, on our boat, with our youth. Signature here, budget there, bam, it's a council course.

I just don't think that VLSC patch is going to fit well on the Sea Scout uniforms. But, I did find an alternate that I think the youth in our ship will find appealing and aid in motivating them to pursue all three levels. But, it'll have to be a ship's secret.

"Alright, I'll give you that one. Kodiak at Sea will be a two weekend long leadership cruise. As far as making it a council course, what's the diff? It's still going to be our instructors, on our boat, with our youth. Signature here, budget there, bam, it's a council course."

Kodiak can be done by a ship/crew on their own. You do need council approval, but it doesn't need to be a council-run course. So enjoy.

Kodiak X must be a council or district run course, and is intended to be run at a council camp. AFAIK, your Kodiak X Course Director needs to have gone thru the CDC or been on staff for a Kodiak X course. Don't believe that's changed.

"I just don't think that VLSC patch is going to fit well on the Sea Scout uniforms. But, I did find an alternate that I think the youth in our ship will find appealing and aid in motivating them to pursue all three levels. But, it'll have to be a ship's secret."

I don't think it would fit well either, but would recommend giving them the patches anyway. If a Sea Scout does wear a VLSC patch on their uniform, so what? They earned, so wear it.