Sea Scouting Leader Training Award

What is the tenure requirement for this?

On the Sea Scout Web Site it lists 3 years as a registered leader

www.seascout.org/for_leaders/adult_recognition/adult-award.html

But elsewhere I see only 2 years are required.

Also most of the other knots have a printable form to record when the requirements have been completed but I couldn't find one doing a web search.

Can anyone point me to a web site that has one?

AFAIK, the forms on the Sea Scout website are official.

3 years is the norm for both the Scouter's Key and Scouter's Training award, regardless of if its for the Boy Scout, Varsity Scout, Venturing or Sea Scout programs.

I looked further on the Sea Scout Web site and found the forms Argyle linked to.

The .pdf on the National Council's web site for the Scouter's training award lists 2 years tenure.

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34169-55.pdf

Also on scouting.org it has 2 years tenure for the Venturing Leaders Training award

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34169-59.pdf

I couldn't find a .pdf for the Sea Scout Leaders Training award on scouting.org

On usscouts.org web site it lists 2 years tenure for all the Scouter's training award (Boy Scout, Varsity, Venturing, Sea Scout and Roundtable Staff).

http://usscouts.org/awards/scoutertraining.asp

I just wanted to be sure which tenure was correct.

I thought it was 3 years for the Key (Scoutmaster, Coach, Advisor, Skipper) and 2 years for the Leaders Training award (Boy Scouts, Varsity, Venturing, Sea Scouts). The form that you posted surprised me with the three years requirement for the training award. All the Venturing forms seem to go with the two years requirement. (And the other award like this - the Award of Merit - is 18 months for Scoutmaster, Coach, Advisor, or Skipper, I believe).

Avast!!!!

Yep...on the Scouting.org site it says 2 years tenure for the Training Award, 3 for the keys. emb....what's up with that?

The www.seascout.org site is privately owned and operated with the blessing of the national peoples. Great site, but I'd take nothing from there as gospel.

"Yep...on the Scouting.org site it says 2 years tenure for the Training Award, 3 for the keys. emb....what's up with that?"

That's what happens when you go from memory. Thought it was 3 years tenure for each. I do know that if you're a Key leader, you receive the training awards after 2 years, then can get the Key after the third year.

"The www.seascout.org site is privately owned and operated with the blessing of the national peoples. Great site, but I'd take nothing from there as gospel."

Uh, it's operated BY the National people. AFAIK main guy running it is a member of the National Committee. Not sure about all the regional subpages, but can tell you the Southern Region section is managed by the Southern Region commodore. So, IMO, that makes it 'gospel'. The site is pretty much THE source of info as to things such as Seabadge and SEAL courses, etc.

Uh, nope. Wouldn't do it. I found in the past, that site had some bad insurance information posted. I go boating with mine and other people's kids, I can't afford to be dealing with bad or bogus information, especially insurance information. Great information, not gospel. Not even close.

Back to this square knot deal. Two years for the Training Award and then three additional years for a key, five year total for both.

emb, you're slipping all over the place today.

"Back to this square knot deal. Two years for the Training Award and then three additional years for a key, five year total for both.

emb, you're slipping all over the place today."

Excuse you, but you misread what I said.

2 years for the training award, additional year (total of 3) for the key, for a total of 3 if you are a Key leader who had never previously earned the training award.

"I do know that if you're a Key leader, you receive the training awards after 2 years, then can get the Key after the third year."

Avast there mister.....

Wouldn't the key leader get the training award after 2 years, then the key award after 3 more years, receiving the key after a total of 5 years?

This tenure requirement is all over the place. Every council seems to have slightly different wording. A three year tenure seems kind of short for such a coveted award. The Sea Scout dot com site uses "coveted" a lot. A Skipper is still a noob after three years, IMO.

The gospel for BSA training awards may be found in the Leadership Training Committee Guide #34169A (latest version 2006). The tenure requirement for the Training Award (Boy Scout, Varsity, Sea Scouting, Venturing, and Roundtable Staff) is 2 years.

The tenure requirement for the Key Awards is three years for any of the keys: Scoutmasters Key, Varsity Scout Coach Key, Skippers Key, Venturing Advisors Key, Commissioners Key, and District Committee Key. Except for the Scoutmasters Key, all key requirements state the tenure for one award may not be used for other training awards. Only for the Scoutmasters Key may the tenure include the tenure for the Scouters Training Award. The reason for this exception is that Scoutmasters Key has an additional requirement to earn the Scouters Training Award. Requiring separate tenure would result in 5 years tenure for the Scoutmasters Key vs. 3 years for all the other keys. None of the other keys require earning the Scouters Training Award.

The unofficial Sea Scout web site is in error. It lists incorrect requirements for both awards, both of which conflict with the gospel. New Leader Essentials training is not a requirement for either award. Approval for all the training awards is through the district training chairman, not the commissioner.

From the current Leadership Training Committee Guide:

Sea Scouting Leaders Training Award:

Complete Venturing Leader Specific Training

Complete Sea Scouting leaders specialized training.

Complete a boating safety course offered by the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, U.S. Power Squadron, or similar organization.

Complete two years tenure in any adult capacity in the Venturing program.

Perform your assigned leadership responsibilities to the satisfaction of the Skipper.

Skippers Key:

Complete Venturing Leader Specific Training

Complete Sea Scouting leaders specialized training.

Complete a boating safety course offered by the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, U.S. Power Squadron, or similar organization.

Complete three years of registered tenure as a Skipper within a five-year period.

At least twice during the three-year period serve as the Skipper of a ship earning the National Quality Unit Award or its equivalent.