Using consultants

From my understanding of the Venturing training the use of consultants from outside the unit is part of the Venturing program and should be encouraged.

I have a parent who has suggested that I stop looking at outside activities and has said that most of the Ship members only want to do advancement in Ship meeting.

When I find out about any activities that I think the ship might be interested in doing I pass that information along.

These activities usually cover the requirements, such as First Aid, CPR and the swimming requirements, where we do not have the experience (or qualifications), time or resources to do these only during meetings.

One of the other complaints is that I am not giving enough time before the event and that if its not planned at least 6 months out I should ignore the activity.

I would really like to have these on the schedule months in advance but often I get these only a couple of weeks before they take place.

Most of these have very limited enrollment and are usually offered only once a year.

The people who are running these outside activities are unwilling to come to our meetings as they just dont have the people to just run these courses for us, so there are very limited opportunities to get these requirements done.

With the different schedule everyone is on there is no way I can keep track of them and know if everyone is available or not.

Would you stop sending out information about these activities if they on a short notice?

My thinking in using consultants in this manner is that they are like a MBC and if a Sea Scout wants to pursue this its up to them to use this opportunity to do so.

Is my understanding of the use of consultants in the Venturing program correct?

Also my son often is interested in these activities.

If I get them and dont send them out and he goes to them, I think this might upset even more parents.

I think a lot of this comes from a lack of knowledge of the Venturing program and from a Troop program that does everything in house (and does almost everything for the scouts).

(This message has been edited by CNYScouter)

"I have a parent who has suggested that I stop looking at outside activities and has said that most of the Ship members only want to do advancement in Ship meeting."

What have the ship members said? It's likely that the parent thinks that ship meeting should focus on advancement and views other activites as interferring with his goals.

"If I get them and dont send them out and he goes to them, I think this might upset even more parents."

Got a point there. "Why does HIS son get to do the fun stuff?"

Send out the info. If people go, they go. If they don't, they don't.

Because Venturing is such a wide ranging program, it is unlikely that a Crew/Ship will have adult advisors/committee members that are experts or have even a passing knowledge of the topics. I can explain backpacking, but as far as Mountain biking goes, not so much, I need a "consultant" to explain that one. I can explain Land Navigation fine, but need someone to explain Scuba, Equestrian and Cave Exploring etc. The Consultants is kinda like a merit badge counselor, an extra-unit resource. (well like merit badges are supposed to be, or were, or well you know)

Totally agree with GW about sending out the info. If people don't want/can't go, so be it. Better that then be damned for NOT informing them. I can't understand why someone would complain about you sending this out, but I never stop being amazed by some people.

OGE is correct on consultants. They are outside knowledge experts who come into to your unit to help them with a particular activity. The idea is that you can't expect (or demand) that the Advisors/Associate advisors be experts in all the things the youth want (this applies to both Venturing and Sea Scouts), so you make use of consultants to fill that knowledge gap.

We use consultants a lot. Usually they come to us during our events and work with the scouts. We have had officers from the Dept. of Natural resources do boating safety , as well as trainers form the Power Squadron. We have had trainers from the Coast Guard Auxiliary do radio operations and signal flare training. We have other boaters take the Scouts out to do engine maintenance and power boat operations. We have a consultant for navigational skills, one for Racing rules and strategy, and another for sail boat maintenance and repair.

So while I suppose you could look at programs outside of the unit program as 'consultants; we just look at those as outside activities that the scouts can attend as individuals, and consultants as experts that come in to work with the scouts but are not registered with the Ship.