Making Eagle in a crew..

I am curious how a boy in a crew can complete their Eagle rank if they have no membership in a troop? They are both 15 and one is a Star scout and the other is 1st Class. The 2nd scout got a late start. Do they just go thru a District MB counselor, and get their POR time thru the crew?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is only one kind of merit badge counselor. One that is Council approved. Once approved thaty can work with any eligible scout they choose.

A Scout who joins Venturing or Sea Scouting after earning First Class in the Boy Scout program, can continue to work on all Boy Scout ranks by completeing the same requirements, but using the Venturing or Sea Scouting PORs

Yah, kahits, you've got it.

They do MB's on their own.

For a POR, they can be a crew officer or do an advisor-assigned project. (Specifically listed qualifying positions are President, vice president, secretary, treasurer, boatswain, boatswain's mate, yeoman, purser, or storekeeper.)

For Scout Spirit/SM Conference, the crew Advisor signs off and does the conference.

Crew Committee does the BOR's.

Pretty straightforward, except that the crew program itself won't (and shouldn't) be focused on Boy Scouting advancement, so the boy pursuing Eagle has to work more independently, which is fine.

B

Thanks, very much... I think this is a great option for a young person who has a need to move past the troop, but still wants to complete their Eagle. I started my daughters crew almost 2 years ago, and have since handed it over to my younger, more popular, Assoc. Advisor, but never read or heard how this part of the program worked for that teen boy, still wanting to make Eagle.

Gee Bob, illuminate us. What does the Sea Scout manual say?

If you're looking for official, I found this at http://www.cvc-bsa.org/advancement/bsAdvancementFAQ.html

As the Venturer meets the requirements for the Star and Life ranks, a board of review is conducted by the crew or ship committee. The Eagle board of review follows the procedure established by the local council.

And I found at http://hoac-bsa.org/Adv_Venturing.cfm

As a Venturer meets the requirements for Star and Life ranks, a board of review is conducted by the crew committee.

Are council web sites official enough?

You can get the official word on Venturers/Sea Scouts earning Boy Scout advancement in the current Boy Scout Advancement book (2008 edition should be out) as well as the Advancement Committee Book.

As noted, the boy must do the work before they are 18, fulfil a POR in their Crew or Ship, and have their Crew or Ship Committee conduct the Board of Review.

I am not aware of the Sea Scout Manual saying anything different, but frankly, when it comes to the rules on Boy Scout advancement, the 2 advancement works I cited above would trump any Sea Scout material.

From "The Boy Scout Advancement Book" found online at BSA National Web site -

http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/32215/eligibility.html#ven

"He must meet the requirements as prescribed in the official Boy Scout Handbook and the current Boy Scout Requirements book. The Venturer may fulfill leadership requirements by serving as president, vice president, secretary, or treasurer of his crew, or as boatswain, boatswain's mate, yeoman, purser, or storekeeper for his ship."

"The Scoutmaster conference will be conducted by the Advisor or Skipper. As the Venturer meets requirements for the Star and Life ranks, A BOARD OF REVIEW WILL BE CONDUCTED BY THE CREW OR SHIP COMMITTEE. The Eagle board of review should follow the procedures established by the local council."

The emphasis is mine. From this it is clear that Sea Scouts would run a BOR for Boy Scout advancement.

Yah, kahits, you're exactly right. It can be a fine option for a young man who has "moved past" his troop but still wants to do Eagle. I've found that those lads coming from crews or ships are very fine and self-motivated Eagle candidates indeed. Good on yeh for takin' the time to find out about it and encourage it!

BW, does your old copy of the Sea Scout materials show the BOR being conducted by the quarterdeck?

I confess I sorta like that option better, even though it's nominally against the current ACP&P. Seems like it would fit better with the character and structure of a Ship than havin' the committee do it. I wouldn't squalk at a Ship making that tweak.

Beavah

"I confess I sorta like that option better, even though it's nominally against the current ACP&P. Seems like it would fit better with the character and structure of a Ship than havin' the committee do it. I wouldn't squalk at a Ship making that tweak."

"Nominally against"? Sounds like a blatant violation of the ACP&P. Remember, this is Boy Scout advancement in a Venturing setting.

"Nominally against"? Sounds like a blatant violation of the ACP&P. Remember, this is Boy Scout advancement in a Venturing setting.

Yah, yeh know. BSA program materials are meant to be read and applied in context, not in isolation. They're a help to units and developing youth; they shouldn't be an obstacle.

Most Venturing units don't do "advancement" and so there's no organizational structure set up for it, eh? So the ACP&P gives guidance on how such units can/should support a former Boy Scout on the last steps of his trail to Eagle.

Sea Scouting, on the other hand, does have a well-developed advancement program and structure, which includes a "Bridge of Review" composed of adults and youth quarterdeck members. So it makes a lot of sense for a Ship to fit the Boy Scouting rank advancement into that system rather than create a separate parallel system, eh? Particularly if the Bridge members are familiar with Eagle. At least, if they desire to approach it that way.

Beavah

Sea Scout manual #33239C page 84 under The Eagle Award where it says that a Boy Scout can make Star, Life and Eagle in a Ship if they have reached 1st Class when in a Boy Scout Troop:

Personal conferences, conducted by the Skipper and the board of review, for each progress award must be reviewed by the Ships Committee.

As a Ships committee is made up of adults I interpret this if a Sea Scout is doing a BOR for a Boy Scout rank through the Ship the BOR is made up of only adults.

From page 83:

If you and your skipper agree that you are ready to advance, your (rank) application will be forwarded to your ships bridge of review. This group includes members from both the Ships Quarterdeck and the ship committee.

Eagle or Quartermaster must be approved by the ships committee and the district or council advancement committee.

(This message has been edited by CNYScouter)