Sea Scouts ride the waves

Mark

The Regional Commodore lives in yor aree, and I anm sure she can put you in tpouch with a local sea Scout Skipper to help mentor you to get you started. You can contact Commodore Nancy Peto at nancypeto@hotmail.com

The boats can be owned in a number of different ways. Having the Co create a 501©3 Foundation is one way. If the council owns the boats as some do, then they are already a 501©3 so another one does not have to be formed.

Remember that all the 3 designation does is allow the donation of the boat to be tax deductable for the donor.

There are some rules that go with that. For instance you are required to use the boat for at least two years before you sell it or the donor gets to deduct only what you sold it for, and not the appraised value.

This is not something you should enter into without a lawyer and a CPA.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

On another note I was contacted the other day by a local newspaper feature writer who heard about Sea Scouting from a mutual friend who happened to serve on Wood Badge Staff with me in 06. She had never heard pf Sea Scouting and thought it would make a good story and asked for an interview.

I explained that she really should interview some Sea Scouts rather than an adult and I arranged for her to meet over lunch with a few Ship members.

The interview went very well and lasted over 90 minutes. By the end of it she was asking for an application for her son to join, and wanted to get her 9 year old daughter in as soon as she was eligible because she was already geeting disinterested in her Girl Scout unit.

We sent her some photos of the scouts in action aboard a few of our boats, nd we are anxiously waiting for the article to appear in the paper. It might run as early as this weekend.

Spring isn't that far away, other Ship's might want to consider calling their local papers and asking for the feature editor. Chances are they haven't heard about Sea Scouts either. This would be a good time to start advertising.

• 1 month later...

I'm itching to get my boat back in the water, except it snowed yesterday. What's up with that?

It's been a long winter. It's time to get that Seaborne Venture Ship Scouts back in their boats!