Venturing and the Merit Badge Program

Just a note: As meameng posts, Boy Scout Requirements is available online (http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/32215). Requirements is explicitly referenced in Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures, BSA stock 33088, as the source for the details of advancement in the Boy Scout, Varsity, and Venturing (as regards male Venturers who are at least First Class in Boy Scouting) programs are concerned.

ACP&P is not currently offered online.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Wow, my daughter earned and wore the Indian Lore MB. It counted toward her rank advancement. She is not even in BSA! Dunno how it was organised in the States by our exchange host but I am starting to appreciate that it might have been difficult.

Thanks mate (no names no pack drill)

Shhhhhhh

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All,

Im new here but Ive been through alot in scouting as a youth and adult.I also know alot of old veterans both leaders and scouts that would be really suprised by some of the comments and reactions to this topic.

First lets go back a few years back to when Packs,Troops and Post relied on each other to grow and help our youth grow.Yes now we are called ''Crews''and Posts are part of Exploring or Learning For life.But the idea here is for our youth to get what they want and need from the program not make it simpler on us as leaders.My experience from those scouts, and now they are old veterans, is they were allowed to do both types of advancements.They were not mediocre in either capacity in there Troop or Post.In fact most turned into what I would term ''Super Scouts''.Earning both the Silver and Eagle and then going on to live the Scout Oath and Law in there lives.Many,many became Scout Leaders and continue to be.

The scouting program is intertwined for a reason,without each segment we have nothing or at best a struggling unit.We are teaching our youth a step at a time to be outstanding adults.Venturing is not ''New''ask the older veterans what they think of it.Our ''New'' program is just a modernization of the older Exploring.And why shouldnt it be??Boy Scouting and Cub Scouting have been revised over and over just we stick to those ideas and principiles of our founder of 100 years ago.

I am a Advisor for a crew and I for one am all for any scout or venturer earning Boy Scout Ranks/Merit badges.I look forward to the Crews first Eagle as Much as the first Silver or Ranger.Why???Because I am able to help one more boy reach the ultimate rank in Scouting the Eagle.Sure I agree the Silver is just as prized and coveted.But if that boy reaches Eagle by his 18th birthday in the crew.I will lay money on him reaching the Silver by his 21st.How many of those individuals are there that attain both??Only national probably knows but I bet it isnt many.

But my real point is this, dont you need those Boy Scouts in your Crews??The boys that are dropping from troops or turning 18 are my greatest canidates.They are experienced,understand the Oath and Law and are already primed for leadership.Many have something to prove either because they missed there Eagle or were not allowed to truly lead.If we have two types of units with overlapping ages program cant be seperated.We in Venturing are still and will always be part of the BSA.Whether we are called Venturers,Boy Scouts or Cub Scouts we are buliding blocks for each other.Venturing uses the Scout Law,Scout principles,our advancement requires us to teach others our skills.The handbook over and over speaks of teaching packs and troops.Being part of that chain in the Scouting family.

To take away the opportunity of even one more boy reaching Eagle is not following what our founder wanted.I for one will support any boy that comes to our crew in there quest for Eagle.And I will stand proud on the day he recieves it.

Charles Seltenright

Crew 308 Advisor

Troop 337 ASM

Welcome cseltenright,

My original post in this thread was a little jumbled as I was trying to think and type at the same time, not being female I don't multitask well. :) Originally I wanted to know if anyone knew whether females were allowed to earn merit badges. Male Venturers are indeed allowed to earn Boy Scout merit badges and those who had obtained the rank of First Class while registered in a Boy Scout troop could attain the rank of Eagle if they chose. Since starting this thread I have come to find out that the merit badge program is considered by National as part of the Boy Scout Advancement Program and therefore not available to female Venturers. Whether a counselor or council summer camp program would allow a female to participate in the learning experience without expectation of "earning" the badge is and individual or council decision.

LH