reactivating an inactive crew

I am writing this for a friend of mine. There had been a Venturing Crew in his area that went inactive due to no membership. He is considering re-activating it. Now, they told him he'd have to get five youth and obviously the adults, but when we CHARTERED ours, they had to have five non-dual registered youth (meaning pay full price).

IF you reactivate an inactive crew, what are the rules on this and how many NEWBIES that are not already Boy/Girl Scouts do you need?

Thanks,

MollieD.

My understanding is that in order to recharter a unit you must have 5 youth members, of whom at least 2 have their primary membership in that unit. This does not mean that those 2 people can't be duel registered, they would just need to designate the crew as being their "primary unit".

As far as the rules of primary/dual registry, the answer is simple: CALL YOUR DE. My Crew stood up with 100% dual-registered youth. Even with an authoritative response of National policy from emb021, (and he does have a good tap for the answers), I've seen lots of things where local Councils go their own way.

As far as standing up a Crew, the most important thing a leader proposing to do this can do is take an INTEREST INVENTORY of area youth. If your proposed Crew is backpacking based, but the area HS youth are band geeks and football lettermen, you're gonna have a mismatch!

John, I think you're right on as far as why the Crew failed at first. It was not focused on the youth's interests, but tried to get youth interested in IT. Now, they're trying to revitalize it more the reverse, which is great.

Yah, ask your DE, eh?

Official rule is 5 youth members with primary registration in da crew. They can be dual to a troop or team, but you're supposed to have 5 who pay in the crew.

Your SE has the authority to waive the rule for reasonable cause, both in terms of number and registry. Practically speakin', your council staff aren't goin' to stand in the way of a legitimate restartin' attempt for a unit, they're goin' to try to help yeh succeed. So tell your friend to "Just do it!"

Beavah