Activities for District Venturing

I recently became a chairman and the only member of a District Venturing Committee and I am a District Committee Member with a strong advocacy for Venturing and Sea Scouts and I also work with our council VOA on occasion. We need to get some new ideas for activities for a District Venturing Activity I contacted a deep sea fishing outfit in New Jersey and we have a Rock Climbing Gym in our area which seems to be popular with the youth in both Boy Scouts and Venturing here. But I would like to come up with a Mountain Man Rendezvous and I do not think Council or District are much interested, they say it would be too involved too much preparation. What would be a good activity to do that would be easy to set up, but also something that would draw a lot of youth plus some new recruits for the crews in our District?

Trailfinder,

Greetings!

Alot of the answers from this forum would be to ask what the Venturing Crew youth desire.

In my opinion, concerning most of the Venturing aged youth today, their definition of fun and education changes direction with the wind.

This years favorite topic, was Geo-Cache-Photo-Scavanger hunt in a downtown major city. That evening followed by a Air guitar, Lip Sync, Karaoke (teen appropriate language) concert in lieu of a campfire. Followed by an XBOX tournament.

Bottom line, the GeoCaching would teach them how to use a handheld GPS system and Photo-Scavenger hunt may allow them to visit historic statues and museums, and ideally read the placard of that respective location.

As for the Lip Sync Air Guitar/Air Band concert and XBOX tourney; well that is just for social fun which they seem to enjoy.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

Gee, Crew21_Adv, how did you know my answer was going to be:

"What do the Venturing Crew youth desire?"

Not every Venturing Crew is about camping and the outdoors. You're bringing kids together with multiple interests. I know one District all-nighter that was nothing more than movies, popcorn, card games and talk. Guess what? They ate it up! :)

We're supposed to be giving them increased rein for their own decisionmaking. Why don't we Scouters do what we are supposed to?(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)