I teach at a Ninth Grade Center (ie. 9th grade only campus)and have had the thought of starting a crew there. I of course would contact the DE, etc., but would appreciate any insights, experiences, etc. any of you may be able to offer. This school is very urban (Houston)with all the attendant challenges, which is why I think the Venturing program has so much to offer these kids.

Never seen it for urban kids, but definitely have seen some successful HS crews (and before Venturing, HS Explorer Posts). With a little "buzz" they can be as popular as corn to a hog. For years, the two biggest units in our district were HS crews.

Big thing is havin' the adult leadership you need, and treatin' it like any other extracurricular activity. I'd suggest starting with one "fun" focus that you think will attract kids, then expandin' from there. Should be perfect for 9th graders lookin' to "belong."

Well, since all Venturing Crews/Ships are high school or older, an urban HS Crew is not really a rarity at all. I am sure that Houston already has a number of Crews.

What I am concerned about is that you want to have the school be the Charter Org. If this is a public school, then that will not work. You can have a school ORGANIZATION cahrter a Crew, but not the school itself.