When is a Ship not a ship?

I just got back from my council office and finished the paperwork for the charter

We are now officially a Sea Scout Ship!

While there I was told there is another Ship being chartered in the council.

Well, they are not starting out as a Sea Scout Ship, but a Venturing Crew, but are being registered as a Ship??????????

They will be located about 1-1/2 hours north of me.

There is a group that is restoring a 2 masted- schooner that was built sometime in the 1800s.

The council spent 2 years trying to get a group started there and my DE said that seeing another ship being started sparked them to get moving.

I have also been told there may be a few more ships in our council on the way.

"While there I was told there is another Ship being chartered in the council.

Well, they are not starting out as a Sea Scout Ship, but a Venturing Crew, but are being registered as a Ship?"

This doesn't make much sense.

EVERY Sea Scout Ship IS a Venturing Crew.

What makes a Venturing Crew a Ship is that they are registered as such (#1208). Now, part of why a Crew is registered as a Ship is that they are going to be using the Sea Scout program (advancement program, organization, training, uniform, etc). If you aren't going to be using the Sea Scout program, WHY register as a Ship? (if a Crew decided they later on want to be a Ship, fine, change it later).

If true Sea Scouting is growing in your council, may come a time when you'll need to organize a Sea Scout Squardon (Council Committee for Sea Scouting) to give the Ships (and program) PROPER support.

Sea Scout Ships are 1208, Aquatic Interest Venturing Crews are 1200 General Aquatics, 1204 Sailing/Boating,1206 Scuba/Skin Diver,1207 Recreational Boating any one of these crews can also be a ship as well.

Some can be 1208(Sea Scouting) as well as an aquatic Venturing crew. Again depending on Venturer or Sea Scout interest.

I found it amusing that this was the way this ship was beng described.

What I think is happening is that the schooner is still being restored so the unit isn't going to doing much in the way of boating/sailing until it is finished.

What is "the Advanced Seamanship Course"?

The Advanced Seamanship course in on page 99 of the Sea Scout Manual

it is in 8 sessions and each one of these sessions are 2 hours long. Also there is a Safe Boating Course and it is mentioned on page 98 of the SSM in this there are 2 sessions also 2 hours in length. Basically if a ship wants to it can use these as an alternative form of advancement or supplement the traditional apprentice-quartermaster with these courses. For the Safe Boating Course the Sea Scout can earn the Small Boat Handler bar and for the Advanced Seamanship Course the Sea Scout can earn the Qualified Seaman bar.On page 97 these two courses are explained in more detail.