What am I missing?

The Ship members are about as ready as they ever will be to take on the task of making an Annual Plan.

The Committee which is made up of nearly all parents thinks that we have had far to many conflicts this year.

The last few weeks have not been good. We had Easter, Mother's Day, OA Weekend,Proms,Band Banquets and soccer tournaments. All this while we were trying to prepare for the regatta.

Part of the problem is that we seem to be attracting the 16 year olds and not doing a very good job at recruiting the 14 year olds.

Kind of a catch 22 as the kids we have are recruiting their pals who are their age.

The Quarterdeck doesn't know it yet!! But my plan is that we will hold the Planning meeting sometime in August. Maybe September if that's what they want. I'd like to see a plan that runs from September till September.

I'm in the process of trying to get the School calenders, the District and Council calenders, the OA calender, the list of what the HS Band is doing, a regular calender, the Flotillas calender,any plans that Her Who Must Be Obeyed has.Dates of local events.

As yet we don't know what or where we are doing in the summer of 2007.

Am I missing anything?

I know that the petty officers ought to be gathering this stuff and I will ask them to do so. I want to be one step ahead in case they don't!!

Eamonn

"I'm in the process of trying to get the School calenders, the District and Council calenders, the OA calender, the list of what the HS Band is doing, a regular calender, the Flotillas calender,any plans that Her Who Must Be Obeyed has.Dates of local events."

What you are missing is enough weekends. After you factor in all of the above, there won't be any left! Been there, done that.

Hops

He retired this year.

He has gone back to the caves!!

I have heard that he will be working with Wilderness Voyages.

That and staffing a Powder Horn course will keep him out of my way.

I'll more than lightly see him at the next Area Meeting.

I didn't get to the last OA weekend.

OJ informs me that he was there, pony tail blowing in the wind!!

Eamonn.

The fact of the matter is the young people we engage in Venturing are often the very ones who are active in sports, debate, church youth, drama, band, ad infinitum.

By the time you overlay the calendars, there won't be many dates left. Leverage them for all you have.

At the same time, CURRICULUM TRUMPS SCOUTING. If a youth is being graded at school in a subject, Scouting takes the back seat. That goes right back to the 7th point of the Scout Law.

One sad fact of the matter is that if you are recruiting from two area high schools, you probably will have conflicts, just because School A is home while School B is away on any given game night.

As far as missing items, do you have your Chartered Partner's annual calendar? When do they want some service from the youth? Do you have your local marina's calendar?