Your Favorite Comedy Movies

"Um, The Green Berets is a comedy? Not that I have ever actually seen it, but it is not a comedy!"

You've never seen "The Green Berets" and you call yourself an American?

He probably finds "The Green Berets" to be a comedy for the same reasons that I consider "Top Gun" to be a comedy. So called realism on TV and in the movies is usually anything but realistic.

Donovan's Reef

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite comedy came out in the late seventies. I don't know if its in moritoriam, but I've only been able to find a copy to rent about 2 x's.

It's called "Private Eyes" and stars Don Knotts and Tim Conway. Brings tears of laughter to my eyes.

They had a time gun -- went off every hour and usually when they least wanted or expected it. What a hoot!

Even though it's Disney, I highly recommend it ;)

DS

While there are many movies (some mentioned already) that will bring howls of laughter, my favorite comedy brings only grins and sad snickers. A movie (some call it a cult movie these days) released in the late 60's starring Alan Bates and entitled "King of Hearts".

"Lost in America" starring Albert Brooks

"The In-Laws" (the 1979 version with Peter Falk and Alan Arkin, not that poor remake that came out this year) "...Serpentine, Shel, serpentine!)

"Mr. Mom" starring Michael Keaton and Teri Garr. "...220, 221, whatever it takes."

The mention of Michael Keaton (Mr. Mom) made me think of sort of a lesser comedy, "Night Shift" (with him, Henry Winkler, and Shelley Long), but also what I think is the funniest movie he was ever in, "The Dream Team" with him, Christopher Lloyd, Peter Boyle and Steven Furst as patients in a psychiatric hospital who are accidentally let loose on the streets of New York City. My favorite part was with Peter Boyle, whose character thinks he is Jesus Christ, and one of the hospital people who is trying to recapture him says that Jesus wouldn't do (whatever Peter Boyle is doing) and Peter Boyle says: "Stay out of my psychosis!"

It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world (I think this might be the best ever)

The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming

Sleeper

Meaning of Life (Monty Python)

Most anything with Buster Keaton (yeah, I know they're silent)

Ground Hog Day

1941 (I might be the only person who liked this)

The Loved One (Jonathan Winters, outrageous)

The president's analyst (James Coburn)

Maverick (Mel Gibson and James Garner)

King of hearts (I'm with you here, Saltheart)

Galaxy Quest (more fun than any of the Star Treks)

BTW, I think I follow the Disney thing but I don't know about the Levi-Strauss thing. What's that all about?

Oh...a horse is a horse, of course, of course...