A few months ago I went to the American Legion and we tried to start a Naval Explorer Post we got as far as the firstnighter and only one youth showed up. Now the Explorer Executive said that our approach was closer to either a crew or ship than that to a Post, earlier we approached youth that were in an AFJROTC unit at a nearby high school and we had 2 earlier meetings the youth at that meeting were excited about what were trying to do. Patches were designed by myself and my Post Committee Chair at the time and we had developed a plan for at least 6 months ahead. Now I have since dropped the idea of a Post because in our council there is no council or district support for Exploring and because of other reasons but the American Legion still wants a post and I believe it is because of the money spent on the patches. However I would like to start either a crew or a ship or maybe even do an re-introductionary Air Scout Squadron I need to decide on what I need to do. Can anyone give me any suggestions? Maybe at a another chartering organization.

I feel your pain I've have just spent 9 months looking for a organization willing to charter a Sea Scout Ship.

However, I didn't want a CO that was on paper only but wanted some interest in the Ship.

My DE or I contacted almost every marina/sailing club in the area before finding one that was interested in being a CO.

Now a CO has come forward the Navel Reserve Center has said they will help and if I can geta ship going a nd runiing they would supply the uniforms.

Why a Navel Explorer Post over a Sea Scout Ship(uder the Venturing Program)?

Explorer Posts are not run by the BSA but by Learning for Life. See if your council/district has Venturing Crews you may find more support from council that way.

However your council should have access to the survay done each year in the local high schools by Learning for Life that can identify youth with intersts

As far as finding a CO see if their are any flying clubs in your area. We have one club in our area that has a Scout day. Through the Young Eagles program they have a day in which club members take scouts for a short ride in airplanes.

Talk with the Air Force recruiter in your area. He may have contacts for a CO or can offer assitance to get something started.

The American Legion can be a good CO.

Most have a meeting room you can use and most will take an interest in a Scouting program.

I have to agree with CNYScouter. Why a "Naval Explorer Post"? It seems that someone didn't know about the 1998 Venturing/Explorer split. They should have formed a Sea Scout Ship. Sea Scouts have a relationship with the navy. AFAIK, Explorers do not.

As for Air Scout Squadrons, Air Scouts/Explorers in the traditional sense are no more. They are Aviation Explorers under Learning for Life. I have heard of CAP groups organizing Venturing Crews focused on aviation.

Keep in mind this. Vocational units should be Explorer Posts, mainly because most (Law Enforcement/Police, Fire/Rescue, etc) are chartered to government bodies. Avocational units should be Venturing Crews.