They just don't seem to understand and they are starting to annoy me.

The Council Volunteer Recognition dinner was held this week.

The Ship was asked to do the opening and closing ceremony. The Dinner Committee was chaired by Her Who Must Be Obeyed and the Advisor was /is a pro. Who is one of my best friends both in Scouting and outside of Scouting. The planning meetings were held at my house and it was at one of these meetings the Dinner Committee asked me if the Ship would do the ceremonies. I said that I didn't think it would be a problem, but I did need to check with the Quarterdeck.

When it comes to food you don't need to twist the arms of our Scouts.

After the dinner a number of people had comments about Sea Scouting and the feedback about the ceremony was really good.

Then came the DE and the District Vice Chairman (A nice enough fellow, but after serving a year as District Commissioner, the District Nominating Committee replaced him.)

They both said that the ceremony was nice and there was a few minutes of small talk. They then asked if the Ship would be attending the next Camporee? I said that we wouldn't. This led to them saying that we weren't doing anything to support the District.

I was really puzzled and unsure what the heck they were talking about. So I said that I was sorry but I just didn't understand what they were talking about.

They started: The Ship hadn't entered a team in the District First Aid Competition. We hadn't attended the Fall Camporee or the Klondike Derby.

They got a little hot under the collar when I informed them that I hadn't even asked our Sea Scouts if they wanted to. They both seemed to get a little more upset when I explained that I thought it was better for the Ship if we didn't participate in Boy Scout events and I wanted the Sea Scouts to understand that we weren't Boy Scouts. I did my best to explain that just as Boy Scouts don't participate in the District Pinewood Derby Race. I really wanted to drive home the point that we are a separate program.I don't think they got it.

In fact seeing that they were going no where with that they changed course and said that I was doing nothing to support the District.

Again I asked them what they thought I ought to be doing?

They said that I don't attend the District Committee meetings, Roundtable meetings and that they had not done well in the units where I used to do the FOS presentation, because I didn't support the District by signing up as a presenter.

I explained that I'm no longer a member of the District Committee. The District doesn't offer a Venturering R/T and I'm far too busy with the Ship to give up any more time particularly at weekends to do FOS presentations.

By now I was a little annoyed and thought it was time to really shoot back.

I informed both of them that they were way out of order. In fact rather than getting on at me for not supporting the District, they in fact should be asking what they could be doing to support us.

Our Ship members have visited a couple of Webelos Scout Dens to teach the little fellows knots. The Ship contacted each Boy Scout Troop and Crew and invited them to attend the Safe Boating course that the US Power Squadron was presenting.

We had invited every troop to join us swimming in the local HS pool which we had booked for 4 weeks, we offered opportunities for Scouts to complete Swimming and Lifesaving merit badges. All this from a unit that isn't supporting the District.

I know our SE isn't going to allow a FOS goal for 2006 that is less than we brought in in 2005 and I admit that I have cut back my donation by a big chunk. Last year when I was on the board and our financial woes came to light I upped my donation by $5,000.00 on top of what I already gave which was at the board level. I'm happy to allow the new District Chair to follow my footsteps. But I'm not on the Board and the out of pocket expense of running a new Sea Scout Ship is (By my choice) a little on the high side. Still I'm sure that my cutting back is not helping the District and isn't going to help meet the goal of Quality District.

The Golf outing that a friend of mine used to hold for the District isn't happening this year. Last year the DE didn't bother to even show up, so it was down to our old DE and myself to do the work.

I also got accused of hogging the local newspaper!! Sure I E-mail the local paper photos of what the Ship has been doing and use it to help recruit more Sea Scouts. As a result of the coverage we have a great deal of local support and several organizations have made donations (We have set up a Section 501©(3). )None of this has been done to cause harm to anyone only to help the Ship and the kids in our area.

We have set a date for the District FOS to come in and make a presentation at our next Bridge of Honor.

I really think we are pulling our weight as far as the District and Council is concerned, but my main focus is now the Ship and the Scouts that I serve.

I don't wish anyone any ill.

But this pair are really pushing their luck.

Eamonn.

I feel your pain Eammon, or at least I think I do. A few years back the Council had a Spring Camping event/exposition. The original plans had the Ventures acting as "security" and I said why? We arent a service organization, we are units that want to attend the event. If we need to help the event out, we can certainly do that, but its up to the membership (youth) and I would have to get back to them. They were stunned I wouldnt commit the Ventures to do anything.

AS far as attending Klondikes or Camporees, yeah, thats just what the Troops would want, Show up with a Co-ed crew and run a team around the events. See if the 11-14 scouts like competing with 19-20 year olds, sounds like a lot of fun for both groups.

If they want the units to participate in Distirct/Council Activies, why dont they set up a few, regattas for the ships or events for Crews and Ships. Its a different program, why wouldnt it need different Districts programs?(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Hey, Eamonn,

By changing roles, you've left a hole. They can't (read that: "aren't willing to") fill the hole, so they blame you for it being there.

Seems fairly typical for a variety of organizations -- especially volunteer-based groups. Don't lose sleep over it -- and try not to share their angst. This is definitely their problem, not yours. Worry about SWMBO's problems -- THOSE are yours!!! ;)

Sounds like the ship is going gang-bustas -- Congratulations!!! (Which by the way should be the only word coming out of your DE and DVC's mouths -- with the possible exception of "THANK YOU!") As a Cub Scouter, I particularly appreciate your global view that includes the LBMs (little blue men)!!! Don't be slow to expand that connection -- Packs truly benefit from (need!) experienced Scouters helping to light the path.

Sorry I'm a bit late, but, HAPPY ST. PATRICKS DAY!!

jd

Yah,as a district committee member and commissioner, this annoys me, too. Sends me on a tirade even, in my best northern Wisconsin accent, eh? Service, the mission is Service.

The only words out of any district person's mouth should be "Thank you" "Congratulations" and "How can we help?"

I hope I'm not in your district, but on behalf of all districts everywhere: Thank you for your service to youth and the good Sea Scouting PR you've generated. Congratulations on the great job you're doing with your ship. How can we help you and Sea Scouting do even better in our area?