What can be done to modernize Venturing

What can be done to modernize Venturing for a 21st Century BSA I believe the model crew for this modernization could be. #1. Specialty oriented, youth led, democratically elected. #2 Looking more toward the future remembering the roots where Venturing has it's roots in more of the pre-98 traditional BSA Exploring program but an eye for the future. Maybe some new kinds of sports programs with a definite outdoor adventure feel, Snowboarding comes into mind,and more re-enactor crews, Venturing Honor Society co-ed and Venturing and Sea Scouting oriented, but not based on rank or award level but more on community service and all specialty oriented and geared for all Venturers that were elected to it. Olympic Games which seem to be very futuristic although many are very ancient, this could be a good specialty area or maybe even a cluster or a larger part of a cluster although they might not practiced everywhere, but there are some areas they would be welcomed, and youth would be interested. This is not to say get rid of what is traditional but doing well such as Outdoor Venturing. No that would be like getting rid of the keystone of Venturing, Sea Scouts are good as well. Sports needs promotion and if Olympic Games Specialties are entered into the Sports cluster this might make the

Sports cluster specialties in Venturing more appealing to more youth.

Change the Bronze awards to the specific cluster. Bring back cluster specific guides and crew helps. I never could understand why a Venturer from an Outdoor crew could also earn the Sea Scout Bronze when they did not even have an Outdoor Bronze. Ranger should remain the same, just for the fact that this award builds teamwork. Ranger is a good resource for Outdoor Venturing Crews. Emergency Preparedness should be stressed for all Venturers no matter cluster, nor specialty. Geocaching maybe a new kind of specialty in Venturing. Tell me what you think.

I know I'm going to get shot down!!

But who wants to change it??

The Sea Scouts I serve seem really happy with things the way they are.

I don't need any more to do.

While we are a Sea Scout Ship we also do other activities like snow boarding, caving, hiking, bowling.

Next week the Ship is holding a youth dance.

Some of the members are working on religious awards.

A few helped out at a District Camporee.

Summer will be Sea Kayaking.

I don't see anything wrong with the programs. I think if there is a problem it is with the delivery.

We might want to look at the marketing?

Everyone seems to know what an Eagle Scout Rank is, but it would be great if everyone knew how much time and effort goes into the Silver Award and the Quartermaster.

Eamonn.

"Venturing is flexible program that it is already modernized."

I have to agree.

I do not understand the point of "dana_renner"'s post. What is the issue? What you seem to be describing as 'ways to modernize' is really more a description of what the program is.

• 3 weeks later...