Camporee Help with renaissance theme

You can always do something about King Arthur, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, the quest for the Golden Fleece, and other such stories that teach points of morality, duty, and virtue in a chivalric setting (since BSA's principles largely derive from codes of chivalry). Most of these are pre-renaissance, but it's close enough. For pure renaissance, there's always Cyrano de Bergerac.

How about "Monty Scout and the Holy Grill" or "Holey Bucket"?

Recommend taking an evening with brainstorming crew, watch the movie, get a big pad of paper and start the ideas flowing. It will be great!

Will the events have renaissance theme, too? Looking forward to hearing more -- sounds like fun!!

These are great ideas. Keep them coming. Dave, haven't contacted the Bristol Faire, but most of them are coming up to the Shakopee Faire starting this saturday and we have our tickets and notepads ready.

Run awaaaaaaay.....but don't bleed on me

Ah, good old Monty

I don't want to get started on Monty Phython, or I wiil be here all night.

Mike F. If and when it gets to hot in your neck of the woods, you can join our district activity committee anytime.

Back to the camporee.

While a litte bit away from your theme you might want to do a google on Nero.

We have a crew that is doing this stuff, it is more "Lord Of The Rings" But they make some real neat weapons and armor.

Eamonn

I never liked Monty Python.

However, Overtrained, I do suggest "History of the World Part I." A Mel Brooks movie. Have you thought about a "Live" chess tournament. They were popular in the renaissance.

I do not, however, suggest Mel's method "Rook, jump the queen; King, jump the queen, etc."

Still, a good movie. And I hope, a good idea.

DS

Just to be a stick in the mud, I'd like to point out that Monty Python & THG, set in medieval history, is most certainly NOT appropriate for a Renaissance theme! The Renaissance was the intellectual and artistic movement that began in 14th century Florence and spead throughout Europe over the next several centuries.

When you say "Renaissance", think knowledge! Think invention! Think catapults and flying machines (nice tie-in with the Wright brothers)! Think engineering! Think Renaissance Man NOT King Bumpus the Dim-witted! Let's not contribute to the decline of western civilization by painting history in such broad strokes as to render it meaningless!

Ahem. You'd think I was a European history major. I'll just step down from my soapbox now, if you don't mind. :)

Speaking of themes trying to get our district to renew fall camporees, it's been years since there was one. At RT last night the RT chair suggested an environmental theme but there didn't seem to be many that were interested. Has anyone done or herd of a throw back theme? Many things in Scouting have changed over the years. Like the NFL did with the retro jerseys it would be neat to show boys how Scouting has changed over the years. I have several old merit badge books from the 60's and 70's we could get info out of. Use an older version of the Scout manual for the weekend etc.

Of course the whole thing would have to hold up to G2SS & YPT. Which weren't around when I was a Scout. What are your thoughts?