What is the role of Crew Advisor?

Our Crew was form 2 yrs ago - the first year was a real learning curve! Now that we are in the 2nd year the Crew Members have asked that the Advisors take a back-seat. Basically, speak only when spoken too! We have let them do it their way - but....

During the last three months:

1) communication - lacking

2) no long range goal / planning

3) events are planned but usually last minute or cancel due to poor planning

4) crew basically is lead by one person - who is trying - but doesn't seem to have the support of other crew members

5) Advisors / Committee struggling to understand our roles (Boy Scouts -v- Venturing structure)

The feeling of some of the Advisors is that they will learn from their mistakes - true, but in the meantime the Crew is struggling.

I know that Venturing is "Youth-Lead" but I thought that the role of the Advisor is to be their Advisor; the youth officers lead the crew. They work closely with adult Advisors and other adult leaders in a spirit of partnership. The adults serve in a "shadow" leader capacity. The adults maybe a "Shadow" leader but not SILENT!

From what I have read on other forums this is a struggle to find "the middle of the road".

Any thoughts?!

This is for Sea Scout Skippers.

But I think it answers your question.

As Skipper, you are:

to be the key adult leader of the Sea Scout ship, an advisor, a friend and a counselor to Sea Scouts;

to be the adult leader who gives direction to the ship program while carrying out the most important duty - advising and coaching the officers as they plan, organize, and conduct the activities of the ship;

to be the leader, though you make most of your significant efforts behind the scenes;

to coach and give leadership to your Quarterdeck officers; who, in turn, conduct the program of the ship;

not expected to do and know everything. The crew will listen to your advice and carry out the program. They will count on you to help in recruiting people who have the skills and equipment that will enhance the ship program; and,

to accept the BSA Declaration of religious principle and be of the highest moral character.

Hope it helps

Eamonn.

• 2 weeks later...

First, have your Venturers participated in the Venturing Leadership Skills Course? My personal opinion is that the program is a great way to train your young leaders and opens a forum to discussion communication and things that are working or not working within your crew.

Second, do your crew officers meet with the adult advisors? Engage all of your officers in the meeting that way you can try to have the youth share responsibilities of leading the crew. Additionally, the officers can take a look at some long term planning ideas and get a calendar organized for the year. It will also give the adults an oppertunity to supportively advise the crew leadership down paths that may help the crew overall.

It's difficult to find that nitch where adults are helpful, but not pushy. However, if it looks like your officers might be crashing and burning or need the advisor's help during a meeting, don't take over, but offer help.

I think the key to the situation is the fact that the scouts asked you to take a less hands on approach. If they decided it was important enough to ask you to do this, then I would listen to them. They, better than anyone here, know how much help they need. However, make sure you continue to give feedback, and to let them know that you are their to help if they need it.

From what I understand, venturing is the next step beyond the "boy led" concept of troops. My son is a member of a fairly young venturing crew. I'll address your specific points as I've seen them in his crew:

"1) communication - lacking" Communication can be a bit lacking but his crew all have email addresses so they use that to communicate as much as possible. This has seemed to help.

"2) no long range goal / planning" I see this also but I consider it "the nature of the beast". They have at least a vague idea as to what they plan for the year but I would say it's not as formalized as the troop's annual calendar.

"3) events are planned but usually last minute or cancel due to poor planning" - Same here. But - they are learning. They wanted to go to a couple local sporting events... didn't get their act together early enough for the first one and it was sold out by the time they got it together. They learned, planned a bit more, purchased tickets in advance for the second and then had to scramble a bit but got all the tickets matched up to people who wanted to go - some at the last minute. Not all attendees were current crew members but some will be joining the crew, perhaps due to the event?

"4) crew basically is lead by one person - who is trying - but doesn't seem to have the support of other crew members" - can't say as I've seen this, however I have noticed that the female members tend to be more vocal, take more of a planning role etc. On the whole, I was impressed with the ENTIRE crew's willingness to jump in, make suggestions, etc.

"5) Advisors / Committee struggling to understand our roles (Boy Scouts -v- Venturing structure)" perhaps a constant struggle. If you haven't attended training specific to the Venturing program, I suggest taht you do so. Also, our roundtable has a breakout for Venture leaders where you can share with others in your shoes if this is available in your district.