Sea Scout Manual

Seems that National or who ever was out of Sea Scout manuals.

At long last mine arrived today.

I was a little worried about spending almost $140.00 (I ordered ten) But wow!! What a book!!

I really think it's about the best BSA publication that I have ever laid my paws on.

I'm a little unsure if I'm ever going to be able to take it all in.

But I'm sure the Lads and I are going to have fun trying.

Even if your not in Sea Scouting it is worth the money.

Eamonn.

Eamonn,

I agree it is a great book,yet when it comes to space aboard, it's large, Being of smaller size would help,along with waterproof pages.

Most Skippers I know would love to see a Handbook for Skippers being printed up, aswell as a Mates handbook, We uses a great deal of NAVPERS , and other resources for training. Get a good sea cook book, and first aid at sea book for your library.

My understand (based on speaking people who are on the National Committee and connected with the National committee) is that:

* the Sea Scout Manual is actually subsidized. That is how the book is fairly inexpensive for its size/binding/etc.

* while there has been work on making a new Skipper Manual (I have a soft copy of what is supposed to be the next edition of it) and a Crew Leader Manual, due to costs, these will probably NOT be published.

* due to size and costs, what is being talked about (MIND YOU, this is just TALK), is to reduce the size of the Sea Scout Manual, and move a lot of it to a CD-ROM that would be included with the book. This CD-ROM would thus contain the Skipper & Crew Leader materials, etc. No idea when/if this will occur.