Sea Scout affiliated Venturing Crews

Can aquatic interest Venturing Crews be affiliated with Sea Scout Ship

and do a similar program to what a ship does. Maybe something like

seamanship interest or mariner interest. These crews be marine interest but attend regattas and Sea Scout events and could they be a

part of a fleet, squadron, or flotilla , as well as part of the district?

DR,

Strongly recommend you attend New Leader Essentials position specific training for the Venturing program!!!

Sea Scouting and Venturing operate out of the same office at National. Yes, Sea Scouting includes the Uniform method, which straight line Venturing does not. Sea Scouting has a different top award, the Quartermaster.

I strongly recommend you look at the Venturing and Sea Scouting website within the BSA National site: http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=va

Beyond this, IIRC BobWhite has direct and expert knowledge of Sea Scouting. I hope he weighs in here.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Why create something newish, when it already exists? An aquatic Venture Crew is called a Sea Scout Ship. Isn't it? Sailing, motorboating, waterskiing, canoeing, camping, shooting sports, alpine skiing, backpacking, SCUBA, snorkeling, Philmont, Sea Base, limited only by your Quarterdeck's imagination.

Sea Scouts has an advancement program, it has standard uniforms, it has its own ceremonies, and other unique program items. Presenting the Small Boat Handler and Qualified Seaman alone takes months of work and effort to earn. Able Sea Scouts need to teach many requirements themselves in order to earn QM. Somebody just needs to teach them "how" to teach an hour block of instruction. Hey, that's a class right there. I'll have to have one of my trustee Mate's design a train-the-trainer course for our Ordinarys and future Ables. Hint, hint. Sea Scouts need to be BSA lifeguards, no easy task. They need to be CPR certified.

One of the best things you can do is get a boat. We've had gatherings on meeting days where they worked on the boats all day long. Never seen them happier. Get a boat!

Sea Scouts also have the SEAL Training program. Without a doubt, the toughest 7 days of Scouting they'll experience. My SEAL graduates came back extremely proud of graduating that course, and by golly, they even looked an inch or two taller.

I, personally, me, like the structure and program that the Sea Scouts offer compared to a Venture Crew. Even the weakest Sea Scout leader has some type of program example to use, whereas a weak Venture Crew leader is doomed.

"Can aquatic interest Venturing Crews be affiliated with Sea Scout Ship

and do a similar program to what a ship does. Maybe something like

seamanship interest or mariner interest. These crews be marine interest but attend regattas and Sea Scout events and could they be a

part of a fleet, squadron, or flotilla , as well as part of the district? "

Uh, why don't you just have your aquatic-interest VenturING Crew just BE a Sea Scout Ship??? Every Sea Scout Ship is a Venturing Crew.

Ok this what I understand the difference is between Sea Scouts and

Venturing. Sea Scouts are in the Venturing Division and really can be a co-ed scouting program under Venturing. Sea Scouts have a more nautical program but this does not hinder them from being more imaginative on their ship program am I right here? If so let me

continue I do know of a Venturing crew that is a Sea Scout ship as well, impossible you say well they are right here in the Council that I do commissioner work in. But when they meet they meet the same night

but the crew meeting is first and then the ship meeting. The are both

a Venturing Crew and a Sea Scout ship. Now what I am referring to is

in the district or council organization where there might be a

Sea Scout Squadron or Flotilla can the Venturing crews that are

Aquatic, you know sailing, scuba or seamanship interest can they be a

part of the squadron or flotilla organization and be involved in

aquatic activities the same as Sea Scout Ships? We have seen through

the one crew/ship that a crew can be a ship as well. But my earlier question arises from that sometimes crews do participate in regattas,

and other Sea Scout events I was wondering if Venturing crew advisors

can attend Sea Scout Flotilla or Squadron meetings (not leaving the

district or council) just using the Sea Scout Program for resources.

Dana, Why Not. A lot of the invites and flyers to the regattas mention Sea Scouts, Older Boy Scouts, Mariners, Senior Girl Scouts, and Venture Scouts. Speak to the Commodore or Chair of that specific flotilla, why on earth we he object to increased participation?

Dana-

Because Sea Scouts are part of Venturing, every Sea Scout Ship is a Venturing Crew (a special type of venturing crew). This means that in addition to the Sea Scout program, they can do anything within the Venturing Program, including earning any of the Venturing Awards.

As to your question.

In Sea Scouts, the council-level is called "Squadron". "Flotilla" is the Region.

All Sea Scout Ships in a council are part of the Squadron (if such is organizied), and should be sending an adult representative to the Squadron meetings. Other Venturing Crews, if they are NOT Ships, really shouldn't be attending. As some of us noted before, if you have an "aquatic Venturing Crew", why not just register as a Sea Scout Ship and be done with it??

A problem is that some Sea Scout events are limited to ONLY Sea Scout Ships. Some may be open to Venturing Crews. It really depends. Sometimes you will have Squadrons who have Sea Scout only events, and then have events open to other Venturing Crews. This allows the Sea Scouts to do stuff as Sea Scouts, and other times work with other Venturing Crews.