District Committee Working with Units

Has anyone seen District Committee members working with units, showing up to meetings, going on outings, etc.? I mean AS DC, not as a Scoutmaster in SM uniform who is also on DC. My registration is DC, and I like to do this so I can see what is actually going on in the units in my District, how they do things, what they'd like to see happen, let the adults and boys interact more personally with the District, etc. As a boy I saw our Unit Commissioner at meetings on a rare occasion, but that was it.

The functions you ask about are an important part of the unit service funtion of the district committee -- usually delivered by Unit Commissioners.

The District Committee exists to support units through the four functions of the district. Those four functions are: finance, program, unit service, and membership.

None of those four functions, other than unit service, require unit vistits (meetings and outings) and the unit service function is primarily unit service.

However, while none of the other three, arguably, call for unit visits, nothing says that the other's can't visit unit meetings and outings. For example, a finance person will need to go to a unit to do a family FOS presentation. A membership person may need to go to a school night to assist the unit with recruiting and a program person may need to go to a unit to put on a camp presentation.

I thnk that a unit should welcome any member of the district committee to any meeting or activity because, if properly done, it can impress the boys, parents and leaders and let them know that they are part of a large national organization that cares about them.

DS

I'm a district training chairman and I have visited units. It usually has been with a commissioner to units that had a perceived training problem.

I have been in districts where the advancement chair, camping chair, and membership chair have done the same for perceived problems in their area.

I look at it this way - if the district commissioner tells the district committee that certain units are having some problems, the operating chairs should offer their assistance to the Unit commissioner to get them solved.

Right...it's not in the job description, but it's nice.

Visiting when there is a perceived problem is certainly something that should be done. But, visiting before there is a problem can perhaps nip things in the bud or at least let the units see the District as something more than an aloof body that puts on camporees.

I'm not suggesting all DC members need to do this. It does take extra time, and we all have limits. Some are more suited to admin, and some are more suited to field work.

Wow, I wish Girl Scouting had this kind of supporting structure. Our service unit finally got a *really good* hardworking field manager (paid council staff) who came to nearly *all* of our SU mtgs and encampments - really helped us feel like what we were doing was *important* and recognized. She's moved away now, but now we have other council staff coming by to see what we're doing - the PR dept people, etc - looks like she's told people there we got it goin on ;) Our girls have gotten to see themselves in print and pictures in council publications too. It's a neat thing you're thinking of doing as long as you can avoid the perception of "checking up on folks" (though sometimes checking up on is a good and helpful thing too!)

I especially wish we had something akin to a Unit Commissioner position just to help point troop leaders in the right direction - girl planning, troop size, diversity, etc. Ah well, mayhaps someday we can learn to take the best of both programs :)

Peace out,

Anne

Why not have someone (a volunteer) work in your council as an unofficial commissioner? Get your council Executive Director (isn't that the name?) to agree to support that person. Have the commissioner chat with the BSA commissioners to get a feel for how to work it. Make the program a success and then have it spread unofficially. Eventually GSUSA might just pick it up as an official volunteer position.

oh...hmm...how to say this without giving offense to anyone...

Women are...different ;) We have a volunteer position called a "leader mentor" but it's "understood" that leaders come to the mentor (and rarely that), not the other way around. The whole comissioning style just doesn't fly well on this side of the Tiber. Shame, that.

It seems that I have been on the district committee for ever!!

We are a very small district with only 46 units. At this time we have only 28 Unit Commissioners to provide commissioner service to the entire district. Much as I hate to admit it I just don't have time to look in on units. I do make every effort to attend any and every event that I'm invited to.

February is a busy month with all the Blue and Gold banquets. By the end of the month I don't want to look at another piece of fried chicken.

As District Commissioner, I didn't visit too many unit meetings. I left this to the Unit Commissioner and if need be the Assistant District Commissioner. My feeling was "Why have a dog and bark yourself?"

I did where and when possible try and get around to visit as many of the Executive Officers and Charter Reps.

At present I do try to get to all of our roundtables. Most of the time I do wear a uniform, but at times I make a point of not wearing it.

The reason for this is that the Chap who I hope will be our next District Chair, is not a uniformed member, and I can't see him wearing one.

If a unit is in need of help, we do sent in the troops. But it is my feeling that it is up to the unit to provide the program. We the District Committee are only a support service.

Both the District Commissioner and myself get all sorts of reports from the council and the District Commissioner has monthly meetings with his staff, he then reports to the District Committee meeting.

Wearing my other hat as Council Training Chair.

I have a inventory of training for every unit in the council, which I share with the District Training Chairs. They can see who needs training and do what they can to provide it.

I have never felt the need to attend unit outings. I do look in or stay and sometimes even organize District Camporees, and do visit our district Cub Scout events. I also try and make it up to the council camp whenever any of our units are in camp. Just to make sure everyone is happy. Most of the time I try to go with our DE.

We hold the district meeting at camp the week that we have the most units up there.

There are times when being the District Chair. is not a lot of fun. When this happens you will hear me say how much I would like to go back and run a troop or a pack.

I know this sounds very aloof. However I do take great pride in knowing almost every youth in the district by name and do try to keep up to date with where they are and what they are doing. I just feel that me visiting units amounts to interference.

(I know the Adults too - Some better then others!!)

Visiting troops need not be interferance, though I am aware of that potential. It depends on the individual annnd the approach, but if done properly, it can help build a bridge between the unit and the district. It's a lead from the front technique. To quote Patton, the higher up on is, the more time one has to go to the front.