Need To Look Into Sea Scouts.

From the National website.

[by the way, there are no org charts at the National site.]

The "About Venturing" page lists the 5 areas of Venturing: high adventure, sports, arts, hobbies, religious life, and Sea Scouting. [sea Scouts is just one of the 5!]

National Youth Cabinet is composed of a National President and 4 Regional Presidents, all wearing green Venturing uniforms. The National Chief Boatswain is just one member of the Cabinet, not the boss. (that's the National President)

The "Sea Scouts" page says: "Sea Scouts is a specialized segment of the Venturing program".

Now, over on the Sea Scouts website (www.seascouts.org), we see this.

On the page about the National Sea Scout Committee Mission Statement, we learn that:

"The National Sea Scouting Commodore is appointed by the National Venturing Chair " [Huh. If the National Venturing Committee is below the National Sea Scout Committee, how can this be???]

Now, while I do know of some Sea Scout leaders who wish that Sea Scouts were separate from Venturing or that Sea Scouts was in charge of Venturing, I know of few would would claim that this is so.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is backpacker FOG trolling from a different library or what?

Mike, so you've been putting up this arguement based on what you remember from the past? The new national standard has the bugs gone as are the youth dress blue uniform. I believe the National Commodore wants all ships uniformed uniformly. So, we've done it, and you would surely recommend to any new unit to stay with the current guidelines. I would anyway.

emb01

The National Boatswain is a youth officer I was refering to the adult executive committee positions at council and national level, I never addressed the youth leadership structure.

Nor did I ever say that there was an organizational chart at Scouting.org, you will have to take that up with BackPacker.

I had a converstaion at Jambo with a member of the Western Region Sea Scout Committee, I invetigated what he explained to me and found he was accurate.

By the way I cannot find the term "cracker jack" or "chambray" uniform anywhere in the handbook?

Sorry Mike but your ship was guided off course. "Now, over on the Sea Scouts website (www.seascouts.org), we see this...

The site you identify is not the national Sea Scout website, it is not even an official BSA web site, in fact it doesn't show the Sea Scout logo, makes no mention of affiliation to the BSA and asks for donations to help operate the site, definitely not a BSA standard.

If you want the official site for the BSA Sea Scout program it is found at http://www. seascout.org and it makes no mention of the things stated on the unofficial site. It does however have a detailed history of Sea Scouting and Exploring/Venturing and you you will see that my timeline was accurate.

Also you will see that the Venturing committee does not select the National Commodore, as the Sea Scout Executive Committee selected the Commodore two months before the Director of Venturing was selected back in 1998.

I suggest that to maintain the quality of accuracy you desire in your website that you consider using official BSA resources rather than other unofficial web sites.

"Mike, so you've been putting up this arguement based on what you remember from the past? The new national standard has the bugs gone as are the youth dress blue uniform. I believe the National Commodore wants all ships uniformed uniformly. So, we've done it, and you would surely recommend to any new unit to stay with the current guidelines. I would anyway. "

It's not based on what I "remember from the past", but from what I know from the past based on the documents, and from first-hand information on those who were involved in the programs.

If the National Committee has changed the uniforms again past what's in the current SSM, they have NOT passed this information on to anyone. I know 2 council commodores and the regional commodore. They've said nothing (2 of those 3 are on the National committee). I attended Sea Badge last year (2004) and nothing was said about any changes.

"By the way I cannot find the term "cracker jack" or "chambray" uniform anywhere in the handbook? "

Those are unoffical terms that most in Sea Scouting would understand. Chambray refers to the light blue denim work uniforms. 'crackerjack' is the common term to refer to the traditional enlisted sailor uniforms.

"Sorry Mike but your ship was guided off course. "Now, over on the Sea Scouts website (www.seascouts.org), we see this... "

Typo on my part. I was refering to the www.seascout.org site, the Official Sea Scout website.

> It does however have a detailed history of Sea Scouting >and Exploring/Venturing and you you will see that my >timeline was accurate.

>

>I suggest that to maintain the quality of accuracy you >desire in your website that you consider using official >BSA resources rather than other unofficial web sites.

Uh, if you had bothered to check my website, you will find that I cite the MANY BSA-published manuals and works that I used for my information. Those published by others that I have used are based on other BSA-published works. My third source of information is on-line conversations with individuals who have had first hand experience with Sea Scouts, Exploring (in its many incarnations), and the like.

None of my information is based on 'unofficial' websites.

meamemg,

I had a private laugh to myself regarding regretting being drawn in. It brought back a memory of my Army Basic Training. A bus full of teenagers being bussed from Ft. Jackson, SC, where we got shots and uniforms down to Ft. Gordon, GA, where the basic was held, and not a peep was heard on that bus. We got to Ft. Gordon and the bus pulled into the Brehms Barrracks area and several of the privates out on a work detail started waving their arms at the bus and were hollering, "Go Back! Go Back!" I was terrified. "Go Back!"

"Though I'll probably regret drawing myself into this, I feel the need to provide the following quote from http://www.seascout.org/

"The content of these pages is unofficial and may not reflect the official position of the National Sea Scouting Committee of the Boy Scouts of America" "

Actually, the site is pretty official. The people who maintain it are part of the National committee.

I know that the Southern Region use it as their official site for Southern Region Sea Scouting info, such as Sea Badge Courses, etc.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Particularly to Seabear for the CD and the patch.

For now I will be happy to do what I can to help this up and running.

We don't at this time have a Sea Scout unit in our Council and while I'm not 100% sure, I think that there isn't one in any of the 13 councils that our Area Committee serves.

The Area committee does have Wagionvigil as the Venturing representative on the Area Committee. It always struck me as odd that we have a Venturing rep,but both Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts are left with no representation.Still knowing the members of this Forum I feel sure that some wise person will explain this to me.

Again thanks for the PM's,advise and words of encouragement. All I have to do now is just do it.

Eamonn.

Eamonn,

Please ignore our peeing contest.

The main thing is that the Youth get the guidance, support, and help they need to have fun, learn, and grow.

You have the right idea. I know that I, for one, cna get lost in the minutia and details, most of which our charges could care less about.

Go for it, do it, start a Ship, and deliver the promise, show them what being a Sea Scout means.

I , for one, have faith in you.

And, don't lose sight of what is important.

The Youth.

Pat "Stout"

PS- If you are ever in Tennessee, feel fre to look me up, and we can both take a walk for a fine stout.

Eamonn

Do not worry about the top layer of all the council and district and

national committee people in Venturing and Sea Scouting. If you feel

you would like to start a ship then go ahead and do it. Study the current Sea Scout Manual find a chartering organization, organize a ship's committee get recruiting information out to the youth and learn as you go. Take one step at a time and do not sweat the small

mundane things. As soon as you can have a ship election for ship's

officers and go from there the youth on the ship will come up with a

program. Encourage advancement because that will keep them interested.

Get your council and district's backing, do not worry about statistics

aim for a goal and then go for it. God bless and good winds

Dana

There was a time, when our good friend OGE would offer a song when the going got rough.

I'm not that great at singing -Not that I have ever shied away from a good camp fire, a dance or a free drink in my life. Still maybe a poem, would lighten things up?

Sea Fever by John Masefield. Poet Laureate 1930-67.

He was 22 years old when he wrote this.

(One worth committing to memory.)

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,

And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,

And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sails shaking,

And a grey mist on the sea's face and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide,

Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;

And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,

And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life.

To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;

And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,

And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

Eamonn.

You know Eamonn I think getting involved in Sea Scouting is the perfect thing for you and OJ (it's funny how closely our scoutinh paths have paralleled each other). It is a natural progression for both of you. You have been a scout, a Cub leader, a Scout leader, a district leader, know it's time to complete the scouting cyle and for the two of you to graduate to a senior program.

My son and I have found some of our best adventures in scouting since joining last year.

A know another poster tried to give the impression that Sea Scouting is a shrinking segment. Actually since 2002 its been one of the fastest growing with a yout and unit incresa of about 20%.

So put on your work tans and get your Mate training, we will meet again at jambo in 2010. There is a plan starting up to have a quiet display of Sea Scoutings strength when we all put on our dress whites for Sunday breakfast and church service.

Fair winds and calm seas,

BW

HEY TERRY!!

How about a Sea Scouting forum???

For those who care.

I made some inquiries about the claimed changes to Sea Scout Uniforms.

Per the National Commodore herself, there have been no changes to the uniforms beyond what exists in the current edition of the Sea Scout Manual (#33239C, 2002 printing).

I do not know the source of such information, but it appears to be spurious.