Girl Scout Gold Award Square Knot

I don't normally believe in making up knots but I have several girls in my Crew that have or will be receiving the Gold Scout Gold Award. I asked if they would like a square knot to wear on their Venturing uniform and the answer was yes.

Taking the colors from the Gold Award badge, the knot would be light blue and gold with a gold border on a Venturing green background.

I'm interested in your thoughts; please let me hear from you.

http://www.sageventure.com/venturing/knots.htm#GSGold

YIV,

Craig Murray

Venturing Advisor

Webmaster, Venturing Notebook

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For the sake of argument, does GSUSA have a special insignia or allow the wearing of the Eagle Scout award on the official GS uniform?  I don't view it as an oversight.  They are two separate organiza

Greetings @ASMPeter!  And welcome to the forum! Congratulations to your daughter on these impressive achievements!  And I know what it takes as a parent to guide them on their road to these recog

While the levity is possibly warranted, it also reflects on a serious issue in our society, in my old guy view.  Spelling and grammar are important things, whether in these forums or in life.  In the

"Taking the colors from the Gold Award badge"

Do you mean the unofficial round patch for the back of the GS vest? The official Gold Award badge, worn on the front of the GS vest, is a gold pin.

This is a nice idea, but because these are not official BSA knots, they really should not be worn on the uniform.

Since they will be wearing unofficail insignia anyway, why not just wear the Gold Award pin?

If I had to pick one of your knots it would be "Type 2", but with a border of the same thread as the knot.

The unofficial GS patch is/was blue because the Cadette/Senior uniform was blue. That is no longer the case. If Girl Scouts 11-17 years old wear a uniform at all, it is currently tan, but who knows how long that will last.

The award will always be Gold.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure I'll get hammerd for saying it, but to heck with whether the Gold Award square knot is "official" or not. The Gold Award is the GS equivalent of Eagle Scout...an outstanding accomplishment! Wear that unofficial knot with pride!

Mark Powell

Cubmaster - Pack 3947

Doha, Qatar

sorry, but I have to disagree. This does not belong on the venturing uniform. The rules clearly say what can be worn and this is not one of the authorized things

I also don't beleive that the BSA will approve such a knot either. If they did, whats next? What about Royal rangers? Campfire girls & Boys, sports letters???

If you want to wear GSUSA awards, stay in Girl Scouts.

As a Scoutmaster for 10 years and an Explorer/Venturing Advisor since 1992, I have to say one of the most enjoyable thing I have done is recognize others in any way I could. To say that one should not recignize a person for earning a high award outside of a BSA program is sad. Does that mean we should not recognize youth for earning the religious award because the program is not administered by the BSA?

Get off your personal soapbox and think about what you can do for others. Recognition is one of those things whether it is the Gold award, Campfire Boys and Girls, etc.

Bottom line, what have you lost by recognizing others? Nothing, we have gained a great deal.

The knots on a scouting uniform repesent advancment or service recognized as a member of the BSA. Whjile the Siver Awrd is a wonderful achievement it does not currently fit the puroses of the square knot.

According to the BSA insignia Guide and the Venturing Handbook, the Siler award medal itself can be worn on the Venturing uniform on formal occassions.

Sorry Bob but you are incorrect. Venturing Handbook pg 47 & 59 clearly state that there is a knot device for both the gold and silver award.

The gold white award bar No. 4200A, and silver knot No. 05027 both worn over the left uniform pocket. The silver award is allowed to be worn on the uniform at all times, if they do not wear the knot.

I think BW you should leave Venturing questions to those of us who have worked with the program for years and have much more training in that program.(This message has been edited by Backpacker)

Sorry Backpacker, but I believe both you & Bob are a bit confused. The original post was about a knot device for the GIRL SCOUT Gold Award, to be worn on the Venturing uniform.

GSUSA & Venturing both have Silver (top Venturing) & Gold (top GSUSA) awards. However the knots are only for the Venturing awards not the GSUSA awards.

I do not believe BSA has any provision for wearing either the GSUSA Silver or GSUSA Gold Award pin on the Venturing uniform.

You are so right Scoutnut, with the talk of gold and silver I thought only about Venturing awards. You are right that only Venturing awards and a few Boy Scout awards are permitted on the Venturing uniform. Mea Culpa !

• Like 1

the7hiker

I am not against recognizing Venturers for what they do in other groups, we do that all the time.

I am opposed to wearing other groups awards on the venturing uniform. This is a Venturing uniform, not a GSUSA, Campfire G&B, Royal Rangers or sports group. Why would you want to wear other awards on your venturing uniform.

Do GSUSA allow venturing awards to be worn on GS uniforms? NO they don't.

nldscout - Actually with Studio 2B, the new GSUSA mindset for older girls, there is no official uniform any more & the girls can pretty much do what they want & wear what they want.

Backpacker - It can get confusing with terminology overlapping. Venturing - Venture, 2 different Golds, 2 different Silvers, & BTW 2 different Bronzes! You would think someone would have put a bit more thought into naming these things!

Backpacker,

You could have chosen to make your incorrect comment without attacking me personally. Then you could have apologized to me specifically when proven wrong, rather than just a nameless apology as you did.

I do not understand your constant personal attacks or why you continue to make the assumptions about my background that you do. I am an active leader in the Venturing program, I have taught Venturing Basic Training since it was released.

I hope in the future you can be depended on to comment only on the topic of the thread and to leave your personal attacks out of your posts.

The Girl Scout Silver Award Medal is approved for wear on the Venturing uniform for formal occassions as I originally shared.