My question is this: Pants----I've heard they are poor quality. Is this true? Do they hold true to size? If not, how are they different. Do they fit women differently than men? Are they really grey????? IF so, are they like "security uniform" type grey? I've obviously never seen them. Our crew will not be using the crew uniform as they have a crew specific uniform, but occasionally I could use one to wear to scouting functions. I've just heard stories.....you know?

Thanks for the help.

MollieD

Mollie, I may be one of a select group of people who own not only the pants, but the shorts as well. The pants are rugged and are grey. I havent taken them treking as I wish to use them for Council meetings, but they seem to be well constructed. The down side is they are around $65.00 ( and some think the boy scout pants are expensive!) then again trek pants of any brand are not cheap!

• 3 weeks later...

The Indianapolis Scout Store stopped carrying the long pants because of poor quality. I recently purchased a pair of shorts. Normally I wear a 33 (green scout shorts) but had to purchase a 36. So they do run smaller but one good thing is that they are slightly longer than the BSA green scout shorts. Overall, beside the cost, I do like them. As for the long pants, our crew voted on using the Dickie gray dbl knee work pants as the official gray pant. Very similar to the Venturing pant but on sale you can find for $15 - 20. Big difference. I purchased the shorts for official Council activities I would have to attend.

I also use Dickey pants as my greys. I understand that you should use BSA issue, I just have a hard time spending that much money on clothes. I do have official green BSA pants and use them on my Boy Scout training courses. When I'm training Venture I explain that these are not the official pants, I have not seen anyone in the official pants.

The Venturing Uniform is up to the Crew. BSA has an uniform - green dress shirt with BSA Gray pants. Our Crew designed a t-shirt to wear with "hiking" type shorts. They decided that the official dress uniform would be the BSA green shirt w/Dickie pants. This was after a very long discussion. There is a Crew in our area that their official uniform is a Hawaiian shirt with hiking shorts and sandals - socks optional in winter. They are chartered by a scuba shop. The problem is as an adult that is on district and council committees - they require the "official" BSA Venturing uniform. That is the only reason I had to purchase the actual uniform. Also two of our Crew members are staff at the BSA Summer Camp and they are required to have a BSA Venturing uniform. So even though the Venturing books states that a Crew can choose their uniform - it is only their official uniform within their Crew - but if they are representing National (such as the Jamboree) or Council (councilor at camp) that doesn't apply! Like so many things within Venturing - its not Black & White - there is alot of gray areas.

The Venturing Uniform is up to the Crew. BSA has an uniform - green dress shirt with BSA Gray pants. Our Crew designed a t-shirt to wear with "hiking" type shorts. They decided that the official dress uniform would be the BSA green shirt w/Dickie pants. This was after a very long discussion. There is a Crew in our area that their official uniform is a Hawaiian shirt with hiking shorts and sandals - socks optional in winter. They are chartered by a scuba shop. The problem is as an adult that is on district and council committees - they require the "official" BSA Venturing uniform. That is the only reason I had to purchase the actual uniform. Also two of our Crew members are staff at the BSA Summer Camp and they are required to have a BSA Venturing uniform. So even though the Venturing books states that a Crew can choose their uniform - it is only their official uniform within their Crew - but if they are representing National (such as the Jamboree) or Council (councilor at camp) that doesn't apply! Like so many things within Venturing - its not Black & White - there is alot of gray areas.

• 3 weeks later...

To become a Venturer, you must be at least 14 years old and have graduated 8th grade, but not yet 21.

Find a Venturing Crew in your area. If you don't know of any Crews in your area, contact your local Boy Scout Council. If you go to the official BSA National web page, www.scouting.org, look in the lower right-hand box for "Sign Up for Scouting," which will direct you to a Council locator and contact information.

Then fill out a Venturer application form and pay the fees.