Crew & Troop together

Our C/O sponsors both a troop & crew, this past weekend the crew went with troop to the district camporee not to participate but instead we did a service project for the camp. The boys in the crew are all multi-registered in the troop and we currently have no females registered. Another advisor approached me and said that crews and troops CANNOT camp together. I had not heard of such a rule like that, anyone got any input.

And almost every month they do different and bigger things. The BOYS wanted to do a project for the camp and THEY decided to go the same weekend as the troop. There are alot of friendships that cross unit lines and this way they could have fun together when they both were in 'down time'. I didn't try to influence them either way, I have let them make their own decisions-After all it's their crew.

I've never heard of such a prohibition and would be extremely surprised if there was one. Can't see any reason for one. Their definition of "adult" differs and, as Bob says, generally troops and crews have different interests, but that certainly wouldn't preclude a joint activity now and again.

Crewadv

There are no rules prohibiting a crew and troop from camping together in BSA reg's. However this should be an occasional thing rather than a regular practice otherwise you will see the two groups lose their seperate identities defeating the whole purpose of each program. Besides, 11-13 age boys will not want to do the same things as 14-20 year old teens. My crew is also coed and that can lead to other problems in joint activities. The crews in my district go to the district camporees and work at running the events, judging the troop campsites, and act as security for the event. The younger kids look up to the older teens and a new and separate program they can move into when they get older.

It is true they cannot "camp" together. Just as Cub Scouts are not to "camp" wityh troops either. They can be at the same event together doing different things and cammping in separate areas.

The problem arises where an 18 year old is an adult as far as rules are concerned but the Venturing program sees them as youth until 21. that makes program interaction between the program a real problem.

Venturers make good instructors for scout skills, and I see them as a good resource for staffing events. But is is important to keep separate activities and activity levels for the two groups and to have them camp apart.

While I applaud your understanding that the Ventureres need to be making decisions, there is a reason why your role is called 'advisor'. You are well within your responsibilities to help guide them away from decisions that are not appropriate to their program.

no, they cant camp together... if you have a co-ed crew, the males and females must have separate campsites, and the crew exists to help the troop out with advancements and other stuff like that

thats not what i read... i read that they aare to have separate sites.... that means sep tents(or cabins or whatevers), facilities, etc, what it is is that BSA doesnt want to get sued for rape, assault, any unplanned pregnancies, or sexual harrassment

Ranik

You misread your reference. Girls and boys are to have separate cabins or tents but can occupy the same campsite, pg 326 of the Venturing Leaders manual under coed overnight activities, #3 states that seperate housing is to be provided for males and females, not separate sites. This was also mentioned in Venturing Leader Essentials Training, they can not share the same tent, and if in a large cabin there must be separate sleeping quarters for each. Bob I concur with you.

The Crew that I am Advisor to went to our Council's Jamborall last October. We choose to camp in the family camp area.Because we had better access to the bathrooms. We are a co ed crew and the plan of action for camping is the girls on one side of the camp and the boys on the other with adults in between. We had the new Scout patrol come over the day after us and they set up camp on the opposite side of the camp cook area. So they kids where in a triangle configuation,with adults in between. The crew and Boy Scouts did not go over to the "Troop Area" with out an adult.But they all did go up to the activity area.

The other Crews camp seperately-the OA dance team slept in tepees at the actvity area and the other crew slept by the main gate since they were security.We all seem to have the same idea males on one side and females on the other with adults in the center. All youth protection in place.--

Our crew has zero tolerance for inapprorate behavior- it's in their bylaws. Especially since they do lot of activities for the younger scouts and Cub scouts.And they know that they are the role models for these young men. They really want to show them that girls and boys can work together without being "romantically involved." (We do have one couple in our crew but you would have a hard time telling unless you know them. They act more like brother and sister than girlfriend boyfriend.)One of the Cub scouts saw them in town and asked the young man why was he holding his sisters hand!!

• 2 weeks later...

Our Co-ed Crew has participated in several Camporees as staff - ran the First Aid, Canteen, and helped with events. We did not want to be seen as a threat to the Troops (especially the Scoutmasters) who do not understand the Venturing program. Though, at the last Camporee there was a Crew that participated in the events. When we camp, we follow the "Guide to Safe Scouting" - which everyone should be doing - by having one male and one female advisor on all outings! The only verbage in the Guide on overnights is male and female leaders must have separate sleeping facilities. Married couples may share the same quarters if appropriate facilities are available.

Male and female youth participants will not share the same sleeping facility. If separate shower and latrine facilities are not available, separate times for male and female use should be scheduled and posted for showers. We also set up our tents with the boys on one side with an advisor tent in the middle and then the girls tents. We have had no problems. In the by-laws the Crew wrote we have a no dating / no touching policy which they enforce! This summer we are attending the BSA Camp in Indiana as a Venturing Crew and will be camping with other BSA Troops. We will also be going to Philmont in 2006 as a Venturing Crew. I have found as an advisor and unit commissioner - there is a lot of misunderstanding and incorrect information out there about Venturing. I know our Council this year is focusing on Venturing and trying to bridge the relations between Troops and Crews.