Corporate Sponsorship For Merit Badges ?

NJ, they do that at our camp too.... Like we have a campsite that has a sign saying it is sponsored by the Opomist Club.... we have the Harrissonville Telephone Company with at pavillian. If they put the money there, I dont see a problem with their logo being on the building, bags, etc but NOT on merit badges or uniforms.

I agree with DSteele "I'm not opposed to a company writing or underwriting the merit badge pamphlet, but to use a Boy Scout merit badge as advertising for any particular company, I would find offensive."

In my area, Gateway Computers holds computer classes specifically for the Computer MB. They have a nice little classroom where each boy sat at a computer, and worked on each of the requirements. The person who ran the class was registered as a Computer MB counselor. I was really impressed how the program was run, and learned a few things myself ;).

Sparkie :)

So, I bring all our girls out to the Mississippi River Clean up Day, and we're taking a break for lunch. Charlie McGuire was there singing and playing,too.

Then Ronald McDonald shows up.

He raises his hand, and *shouts* over Mr. McGuire's playing and singing, "Heeeeeeeey, Kids!!!!" and proceeds to get numerous pictures taken of him with our girls in uniform by his handler, then slaps Ronald McDonald stickers all over their uniforms.....cringegroancringegroancringegroan. I had the girls move the stickers off of their vests.

Yeech.

(I don't know really how this relates to the present conversation....just wanted to share.)

This is not a new concept. The council camp in PA we visit every winter was built in the 30s-40s and every building, cabin, and the dining hall have corporate names to honor the contributors (obviously VERY generous). In my council, the camps on the reservation are named after the fraternal organizations which originally supported them.

Naming buildings and even camps after donors, corporate or otherwise is quite common. Most camps and even some council offices in the country have buildings named in such a fashion.

But the topic as originally written seems to imply company logos or names on actual badges worn by Scouts e.g. merit badges, and I personally have a problem with that.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying corporate sponsorship of BSA events and buildings is bad. The BSA has long teamed with corporations and individuals in funding facilities and programs and will continue to do so.

I hope that clears up some possible confusion.

DS