OGE, about 20-min to 1/2 hour away. Went there everyday for 5 days. "They got the worst cases you could imagine", your right on target there, it's awful! No one can imagine the pain debridement puts one thru, and no medication can help. He had Dr. Gereli (sp?), who had free reign on the whole design of the burn unit. Staff was amazing!

FOG, you don't think Black powder evaporates easily? Volatile "readily vaporizable at a relatively low temperature", as seen in many burn units.

Sparkie(This message has been edited by Sparkie)

"FOG, you don't think Black powder evaporates easily? Volatile "readily vaporizable at a relatively low temperature", as seen in many burn units. "

If I pour a pound of black powder on my sidewalk and a gallon of water on my sidewalk, the next day the black powder will still be there but the water won't. Black powder doesn't evaporate, it is a mixture of solids and has no vapor state.

Volatile can also denote "explosive", which black powder (an explosive mixture of potassium nitrate or sodium nitrate, charcoal, and sulfur used especially in fireworks and as a propellant in antique firearms) obviously is.

IF you poured black powder out on your sidewalk and lived anywhere close to my residence, I would become very volatile!

"Volatile can also denote "explosive""

Only regarding behavior as in, "Central, we have a volatile situation!" or "boy, he has a volatile temperment." However, it would not be correct to state, "that dynomite is volatile."

"IF you poured black powder out on your sidewalk and lived anywhere close to my residence, I would become very volatile! "

Why?

DSteele,

Thanks for bringing this topic back around. A debate about the use of black powder in scouting may be a good topic, but let's remember that a scout has died. As you said, one death is one too many.

For all interested, this is from the Cascade Pacific Website:

"The Chris Kroker Memorial Fund has been established at US Bank, contributions may be submitted at any branch. Cards and letters may be submitted to the council office (2145 SW Naito Pkwy., Portland, OR 97201) and will be delivered to the family. "

My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and fellow scouts. May they be able to use their faith to find the strength they will need to deal with the loss.

The words of my own scout master come to mind from many years ago ( I know, it's only one of many versions )...

May the master of all scouts, watch over, guide and protect us until we meet again.

I just came back from camp, where I was a volunteer commissioner. These tragic event hits home to many of our staff as like myself, some have been to Meriwether and many have trained together with their staff at camp schools. Our camp director, who has done national camp inspections at Meriwether and taught at national camp schools in camp management, believes that the use of cannons and rifle salutes at flags are tradition that many camps believe trumps the national camp standards. For his reading is that all shooting of any kind must in a approved range. Dont try to find a reference in G2SS, there is a bigger book of rules that are for safe operation of camps that BSA puts out.

Never the less none of the articles we found on the web shed much light on what exactly happened. The quote of Oregon State OSHA inspector sums it up I just have never seen before a workplace accident with a cannon.

The location of the camp is great and the view from my campsite the last year I was there on the top of the bluff looking out into the Pacific Ocean, the crash of the surf as you gather in the parade field make it a camp the scouts will remember all their life. If you can take you troop there do. Also Dsteele, just down the road from camp you can get the best cheese in US at the Tillimuk Cheese Factory.

Our prayers should go out to the family and friends of the young man and the staff of the camp and council

" For his reading is that all shooting of any kind must in a approved range."

I'd like to see that big book. I think that you'd be hard pressed to call firing a canon loaded with just a powder charge, "shooting." If that was the case, then a cap gun or starter pistol would fall under the same rules.

I have a friend who is in the North-South Skirmish Association, a group of guys (mostly) who dress up in Civil War uniforms and other period garb and shoot period guns including pistols, rifles, canons and mortars. Unlike regular re-enactors, the NSSA shoot with projectiles and attempts to hit targets. I told my friend about this situation and it baffled him. His spin was that even if the wadding was jammed in their as tight as could be, it should have blown out long before the canon ruptured as the brass is much, much stronger than any wadding could be. My buddy is going to bring this up at the next meeting of his battery and see if anyone has any ideas. Not that their ideas will have any official meaning, they'll just be interesting.