In Search of the Jesey Devil Part II

Ok, so the Venture Crew just got back from Wharton State Park in the Jersey Pine Barrens. Once again, just like last year we were in search of the Jersey Devil. Hiked along the Mullica for awhile and saw a few strange sights, mostly canoeists dressed in costume, as well as kostumed kayakers as well. Made camp and sat around a campfire and listened to the woods and the creamation of Sam Magee. . It had poured friday night but a wonderful moon came out on saturday. Had along two young ladies who had never backpacked before, both loved it. One of the adult advisors brought out some chocolate frosting,and saturday night scooped some in a pot warmed it and added a little water and voila, chocolate fondue. Dipped oreos in it and surfed a glucose rush for quite awhile before we turned in. It was a grand weekend.

On sunday on the way to Basto, we found a single rather large bear, huge dog looking track in the sand, not sure what it was, could have been the Devil inviting us back next year, and perhaps we will there, unless the youth decide otherwise, but I dont think so

PS one of the lsdies was barely taller than her borrowed pack, but she toted her share with a vengeance and never complained, and want to do more, what's that what Barry says?

I love this scouting stuff(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

While that dastardly Devil, may have yet again given you the slip, and old Sam may have cashed in that trip. I can't help wondering if there was and is a force of greatness that gathers around a group of young people, who are tired from the trip and share the very simple things that make life seem right. There is no doubt in my mind that these are the days that we carry with us for a very long time.

Ralph Reader, comes close to describing it in some of the Gang Show songs.

Thanks for sharing and there is aways next year and that old fellow with the tail and horns won't stand a chance.

There are strange things done...

Eamonn

Ah, the old 13th son of a 13th son, born to the Leed's family of Leeds Point, NJ. Kept under the stairwell of the old family home, until the night that he escaped, it was night very much like this, a full moon rising, he waded up the banks of the Mulica, foot tracks proved this, up the Wading River, into the Wharton Tract......

I feel blessed having spent my Scout youth in the Pine Barrens of South Jersy. Medford Lakes, near the meeting tree of the Leni Lenape Indians, Troop 48, Hunnikick 76. The Pine Barrens, where every thing is edible. Too bad they sold Camp Lenape. The Mr. James must be still rolling in his grave, not to mention that crusty old SoB, Mr. Bill Gibson, the old caretaker of the Camp. For some reason, Mr. Gibson liked me, disliked everybody else, an amazing history lesson, fortunately, I asked. A pleasure to have known both Mr. James and Mr. Gibson. And I almost forgot about Mr. Moore, a decendant of the family that started Moorestown. He always brought a trunk load of "stuff" when he arrived at the camp.

How is Goshen Pond doing? That was my last run in with the Jersey Devil. I was SPL, my best buddy was ASPL, we raced to Eagle, I won by a month, I was to lead a night hike along the trails that we knew like the back of our hands. He was to lay in wait in a parallel fire break. I had the night patrol out there, it was a full moon, when we moved he moved, when we stopped he stopped, when we ran, he ran. We ran back to the camp fire, only to find that the ASPL hadn't left yet....

OGE, where are you from?

Well, actually I am from the western suburbs of Chicago, Wood Dale by name and proud alumna of Troop 65 chartered by Holy Ghost Catholic Church. But I don't think thats what you meant, right now I am in Bethlehem, PA in a troop and crew chartered by East Hills Moravian Church. The crew has been to the Pine Barrens three times now, each time creepier than the last.

OGE, I'm down in Virginia now. My son just picked up Second Class, and will easily make the 1 year to First Class goal. He's on his way.

We use to do canoe all the rivers down there, way back in the 70's. You need to do the Atsion, and when you get to the portage of the downed tree next to the stump. Stop there and take a dive, hopefully you will find my buddy's father's K-Bar that came out of the sheath when we flipped our canoe while trying to get back into it. We searched for about and hour for that knife.

Maybe the Jersey devil is now armed...

• 2 weeks later...

Canoeing down the Wading River is a great weekend trip, and has filled up a good portion of my Scouting memories. Especially jumping off Godfrey Bridge (when the ranger wasn't watching). The river requires enough maneuvering to help teach younger scouts the importance of working together to steer and paddle. The current is deceptively strong for such a narrow river. If your lucky, and the rainfall has been high, the canoeing places may also open up the "northern section" of the river. Still requires the requisite turns around (and under) tree branches, but it's a great addition to an otherwise short trip.

Being a transplanted New Jerseyan also living in VA, it's been a long 3 years since I last camped in Wharton.

And I thought Mother Leeds kept the poor fella' in the cellar, not under the stairs? (If I'm wrong, then maybe we should claim Harry Potter stole the story line!)

Missing the cedar-stained waters,

--Gags

I was with Troop 53 in Fords (Woodbridge Twp.) Yes, our claim to fame is that McGreevey used to be our mayor. But that's a topic for "Issues & Politics".

I gotta' say - compared to camping in northern NJ, the Pine Barrens can't be beat for feeling like you're in the middle of nowhere. (should that be 2 words???).

Gags

Hey now, don't be dissin' New Jersey, that'e Roanne A'Rosanne a Dan's job. Besides, if by Northern New Jersey you mean the Delaware Water Gap or the area around Hope New jersey you can watch Bald Eagle nest. Not all of New jersey is bounded by the toll way or by tony soparano's boda bing lair

NJ is a great state to be from!...

My dad was NJSP. When we use to drive by this certain forest in Jackson Township, he'd say, "if I could command all the bodies in that forest to stand-up, there would be places where they would be standing on each other's shoulders." And in the Saprano's, I think that was supposed to be the forest where that Russian guy was supposed to be killed.

We use to camp at Goshen Pond a lot, that is just up stream from Lake Atsion.

A fun place to be a Scout.(This message has been edited by Eagle1973)

As a scout and family camping I spent many nights in the Jersey Pine Baron and Wharton State Forest. It is an unsual ecology. The closest thing we have in New England is parts of the Cape.

I still make it back to the Garden State once in a while, either travelling for business or to visit relatives. My family knows, I always que up "Born to Run", the unofficial state song, as we cross the border in NY and head south on the Garden State Parkway... Turn up the volume...

"In the day we sweat it out in the streets of a runaway American dream

At night we ride through mansions of glory in suicide machines

Sprung from cages out on highway 9,

Chrome wheeled, fuel injected

and steppin' out over the line

Baby this town rips the bones from your back

It's a death trap, it's a suicide rap

We gotta get out while we're young

'Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Wendy let me in I wanna be your friend

I want to guard your dreams and visions

Just wrap your legs 'round these velvet rims

and strap your hands across my engines

Together we could break this trap

We'll run till we drop, baby we'll never go back

Will you walk with me out on the wire

'Cause baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider

But I gotta find out how it feels

I want to know if love is wild

girl I want to know if love is real

Beyond the Palace hemi-powered drones scream down the boulevard

The girls comb their hair in rearview mirrors

And the boys try to look so hard

The amusement park rises bold and stark

Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist

I wanna die with you Wendy on the streets tonight

In an everlasting kiss

The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive

Everybody's out on the run tonight

but there's no place left to hide

Together Wendy we'll live with the sadness

I'll love you with all the madness in my soul

Someday girl I don't know when

we're gonna get to that place

Where we really want to go

and we'll walk in the sun

But till then tramps like us

baby we were born to run"

With respect to The Boss and all the other Jerseyans out there.

SA