Just how does one start a Venturing crew or Sea Scout Ship?

Trail Pounder

I am a commissioner, I do not work much with Sea Scout Ships, While I do know the mechanics of how to start a crew. I do not know what organizations would best support a crew or ship. In other words how did you do it? Seems like your ship is very creative and very in tune

with the program. Now I do know that any scout unit takes time to grow and find it's own way. Back to the original question Just how does one start a Venturing crew or Sea Scout Ship?

Dana,

It depends on what you are starting a Crew or a Ship?

If its a Ship

I recommend you contact your local US Power Squadrons chapter near you. You can find them online www.usps.org. They have a new program with Sea Scouting and will provide free training. For more info, visit www.seascout.org.

If its a Crew

What is their specialty? Outdoors? Religious Life?

If its a Crew

What is their specialty? Outdoors? Religious Life? Arts & Hobbies? Sports?

I would contact religious institutions, corporations, schools, YMCA to find interest. Do an open house and recruit Venturers and do a Crew interest survey. Contact your local DE and fill out the applications.

For a more detailed, step-by-step instruction, please visit http://seascout.org/about/getting_started/how_to_organize_a_ship.html. This will also work for starting a Crew.