Are you allowed to wear your lodge flap on your Venture uniform. I am new Venture and have been asked to be the advisor, so I got back into scouting and we are about to have a first nighter and an all around scout night. I sewed the lodge flap onto the pocket and then started thinking maybe I can not wear the flap on the uniform.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They decided when they found that they can't elect members to OA male or female, and the decided when they found that our female Shipmates can't belong, that the OA has not part in our Ship's meetings. A couple of our Ship's company do attend Boy Scout meetings and they wear their flap on their tan scout shirt. The Ship's Petty Officers set the rules, pretty sharp youngsters, I'll say, and all our crew members have had no problem following them.

As many on this board have stated, and stated resolutely, that OA is a Boy Scout Society. It has also been hashed and rehashed here on this board that Venturing is a seperate, distinct program with different methods and aims than a Boy Scout Troop. If it a Boy Scout Camping Society, where female Venturers and Sea Scouts are not welcome, and Crews and Ship's can not hold elections, why would anyone care that we won't wear the lodge flaps?

Perhaps to show what they have acomplished in Scouting. I was only asking if Venture Crew members that are part of the OA are allowed to wear the lodge flap on their shirt. If the venture crew scouts are not adult enough to understand that it is a part of Boy Scouts and an award to those scouts that have earned the right to wear the flap then perhaps they are not adult enough to be a part of the crew. I however think that they are adult enough and I am not trying to start a politically correct argument. We have to much of that going on in America today with out bringing it into scouting. I see no reason that in the future that Venture Scouts could not start an honor society for female ventures that would allow them to also have something like the OA for them that is open only to females. But thanks for the ideas and advice.

Trailpounder,

Sounds like a bunch of people saying to those that are longtime scout members "If I cannot join, then you cannot wear what you have earned" . Sounds rather childish to me.

So back to my question, suppose someone joins that is active in the OA and wears his flap, are you going to chastise them?

I'm not going to chastise anybody. Our youth leadership, some Boy Scouts and some Venturing only, decided on the by-laws. Seeing that OA is a Boy Scout Society, those in both Boy Scouts can wear it on their tan Boy Scout shirt. It's not even on their radar.

They're great kids, more adult than a lot of adults and not childish at all. It's just the way it is, and I support them.

That is my point exactly. If they choose to wear the venturing green shirt, then they can wear any patch or badge they are authorized to wear, including a lodge flap. You cannot write into your bylaws that lodge flaps are not authorized. Sorry but they cannot change the BSA uniforming regs.

And as for not childish, to write a rule whose only purpose is to penelize those who chose to participate in the OA is just that "CHILDISH and IMMATURE.

Hops and nldscout,

I agree with you both, thanks for putting this issue in proper perspective.

TP, like it or not Venture is and always will be part of the scouting program just like the old Explorer program.(This message has been edited by BadenP)