chartering a venture crew problem....

Walk away? Nay...RUN away!

If you live in a council where the SE would not put the available resources to work to find a couple of new members in order to have another scout unit in operation... then you my friend are in th twilight zone of scouting. Run away.

There are better ways to serve the youth in a community then through bad scouting.

Mollie,

I'd like to add some additional information. The five youth, two of which are primary to the unit, along with the full compliment of adult positions is the national standard.

BUT, the Council Scout Executive has the discretion to stiffen those requirements. He does have the ability to ask for five non-co-registered youth before chartering a unit.

Two things come to mind, you could have the five youth change their registration to the new crew and not be co-registered with the troops they were in previously.

Or, if these boys want to start a crew. Have them recruit five of their friends to fill the quota the SE has set. That's an even better idea.

P

My hubby has an appointment with our local DE tomorrow to discuss several things, but he's going to try to just ask them if they really want this crew to get off the ground. If not, we'll quit trying and just use the local High School to get it in as a "club" for school. We'd rather use the scouts to get the full benefit of scouting for these kids, but if we can't....well, too bad. The point is to reach youth, not gain money for scouting. I do think they've decided to stiffen these requirements just so they can get more money from kids getting in. We're not going to get any more kids this way and believe me, we've tried. If they don't allow us to actively recruit, we're stuck with no crew.

We've started to think that "run away...." is the best thing for a number of reasons. We'll just see how the DE meeting goes and decide from there. It's a shame, though that now we've got 7 scout boys interested and they can't get this off the ground.

Mollie,

It has nothing to do with getting more resgistration fees. We are only talking about a few dollars difference on two or three boys, and besides that none of the resgistration money stays in the council. 100% of it goes to Irving, Texas and the majority of it goes into the liability protection fund. So NO ONE profits from registration.