Help needed with Co-Ed Venture Crew Rehabilitation

Hello all, I am new here :)

My 16 year old son recently joined a Venture Crew. Problem is, the crew consists of 5 kids, including my son. Additionally, they have no money saved, no bank account open for them, they are currently sharing the Boy Scout troop's account? They did elect crew officers, but there was never any training for them regarding their positions, so nobody knows what they are to do. They do everything with the boy scout troop, meetings, fundraising, camping etc, but everything is done as a "family " event- no permits, therefore no advertising and no profits. We are in a very poor area of the South and the parents can't afford to even get the kids uniforms, so paying for things like camp is out of the question. I have been researching the way things are "supposed" to be done and this appears to not be correct. My son was elected to an officer position and wants to make a motion that the kids run the crew from now on instead of the Leaders, but will this be a problem? He thinks he is correct and can turn this around by doing recruiting and official fundraising, but I think he is in for a hard time with the Committee, who I am told does not like us because we are Co-Ed. Any thoughts on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Karin

Venturing is a whole different animal than Boy Scouts. In a properly run Venture Crew, the adult advise and the youth run the show. The Crew should have its own committee.

In Venturing, each Crew has the option of selecting a uniform: the official BSA uniform, their own uniform, or no uniform at all. I believe that some sort of uniform, even if it is just a T-shirt that says, "Venture Crew 954, East Wahoo, Georgia", adds to the esprit de corps.

Money is always a sticking point. However, a Venture Crew can have a ton of fun with very little money. A safari in Africa costs a fortune but a hike costs little.

Money can also be found in interesting places. The charter organization may will willing to cough up come cash. Your council may have a fund to help out. I know that my Council has thousands in a fund for "camperships" but little is given out because few ask for it.

Now, by the rules, you can't go around asking for donations of cash. However, local businesses may be willing to donate gear or transportation. I know of one local troop that has made a connection with an airport shuttle company and they go to all of their campouts in big vans. The vans are rolling billboards but they don't cost the troop a penny.

I would guess that two things need to happen. First, both the adults and the youth leaders need to take some training. Second, the crew needs to decide what they want to do and then find a way to do it.

You need to get a seperate charter as Venture crew rather than as a patrol within the troop.This could be difficult with

such a small group.Also to get your charter you will need registered adult advisors.You need both male and female adults if you are doing coed.

the crew should be run by the youth with adult support.

It will be a challenge but it sounds like the connection with the troop is limiting your ability to function as a venture crew.

Talk with your scout proffesionals and find out what you need to do to get your own charter.One thing for sure though is you will need to recruit some people who share your youths vision for the crew.

I wish I could give you some specific advice,but the attitude towards Venturing is different from area to area.

When I see my son this weekend I'll ask him if he knows of

where you can look for training information(he's been active

on our councils Venture cabinet for a few years now).

What council are you in?Travis knows some people in National

leadership positions and maybe he can get a name for you to

talk to.

No promises but it's worth a try.

You need to get a seperate charter as Venture crew rather than as a patrol within the troop.This could be difficult with

such a small group.Also to get your charter you will need registered adult advisors.You need both male and female adults if you are doing coed.

the crew should be run by the youth with adult support.

It will be a challenge but it sounds like the connection with the troop is limiting your ability to function as a venture crew.

Talk with your scout proffesionals and find out what you need to do to get your own charter.One thing for sure though is you will need to recruit some people who share your youths vision for the crew.

I wish I could give you some specific advice,but the attitude towards Venturing is different from area to area.

When I see my son this weekend I'll ask him if he knows of

where you can look for training information(he's been active

on our councils Venture cabinet for a few years now).

What council are you in?Travis knows some people in National

leadership positions and maybe he can get a name for you to

talk to.

No promises but it's worth a try.

Great advice given so far. It is not hard to get a charter if you have a charter org. and at least 5 adults to be advisors and committee. Every district has Venture Leader Training divided into Fast Start, Venture Leader Specific, and New Leader Essentials which are usually given together in a one day course. Fast Start and Essentials are also available on line and cd. The one day training though builds cooperation and teamwork for your adults. Venture Leader Skills Course is for the teen officers and crew. It is usually given at district training or the adult advisors can do it after they have been trained. Go to the BSA National site and your council website for more info. Its a great program once you get it off and running it takes on the personality of the group.

Thank you all for the advise, it is really appreciated :)

We are in the Southern Region, West Central Florida Council. I have done the Fast Start training and youth protection online, however I dont know how to get the Youth Officers Seminar set up? Is that done through the Local or District Council? The book does not specify. The kids elected officers about 2 1/2 months ago and have yet to figure out what their duties are since they have no PCI to work off and have had no training seminar? At the moment our charter rep is acting as the committee chair, however it is my understanding that the council is not fond of the chair, so it is difficult to get assistance. My son's membership card says "Venture Crew" not "troop" so I would think we have a seperate charter as a Crew, particularly since I was told Council thinks we run both meetings and events seperate? If we were a patrol within the troop it would not be a problem to run joing meetings I believe? Anyway, as far as a seperate committee, we currenlty have people serving on both committees, it is a joint committee really. Example, the treasurer is the treasurer for both the troop and the Crew. I don't yet have a committee member handbook but if someone does, could you let me know if it is ok to serve on both committees? Troop and Crew? I think it would be more logical to have seperate committees, but I think my son will be in for a fight on this if it is just his opinion and not backed up by a policy somewhere. Thank you again for your help.

Karin

Traditional Scouting has 3 programs.

Cub Scouting.

Boy Scouting.

Venturing.

While a Chartering Organization can charter all 3. A Pack, A Troop and a Crew and all 3 share the same COR. Each program is on its own.

The wants and needs of each program are different and the management committee has a different role to play as it works with each program.

Try thinking of the Pack, the Troop and the Crew as the Army, the Navy and the Air Force. Sure they are all part of the armed services but they have their own way of doing things and have different needs.

The Troop and the Crew are no more linked then the Pack and the Troop. Sure there are times when they will get together, but you wouldn't have a den meeting during a troop meeting.

Trying to mix the Troop and the Crew is not a good idea.

Eamonn.

TheLuckyCricket:

Training and great activities are the key to a successful program. As stated earlier, we'll be hosting Powder Horn at Camp La-No-Che in Paisley, FL in August (registration is still open - follow link below for form). It is a great opportunity for training, getting lots of ideas, and for networking with counselors that will make your program a success and will have access to the required resources.

We also have additional training opportunities that are coming up in the near future that are listed at http://training.cfcbsa.org/vent_bulletin_board.html

I'll be glad to help.

New Crew Fast Start training (on-line or videotape), New Leader Essentials training (1 1/2 hours) and Venturing Leader Specific training (5 hours) are important first steps for the adult leaders in a new crew.

Crew Officers' Seminar is training for the elected youth officers. It is designed to orient the new officers to plan programs, and to develop an activity schedule. This training is presented by the Crew advisor. The booklet is # 25-878, no charge from your district or council office.

There is a video designed to brief the new crew committee on their function. Borrow video AV-03V012 from the district or council office.

Get the Venturing Leader Manual #34655C too.

Powder Horn training is valuable advanced adult leader training.