Powder Horn - Is it Worth My Time?

OK I have been on my soap box for a few days going on about Venturing.

I really do enjoy spending time with young people of all ages, be they the little Lad who has just joined as a Tiger Cub, the Boy Scout who is a Life Scout and is in need of a friendly kick in the pants or the young adult who has just graduated from High School and is seeing his or her bedroom being made into the new sewing room. Yes I am an old fuddy duddy who has strong views on some things and I'm still trying to understand hip-hop music and fail to understand why all the shoes that my son buys are just plain ugly.

I don't want to be young again!! Been there, done that and loved every minute of it. In no small part thanks to my involvement in Scouting.

I do want to understand thing better.

When I became a Scoutmaster I took myself to Wood Badge. When I became a Cubmaster and Cub Scout Leader Trainer, I took myself back to Wood Badge. When I became a District Commissioner, I went to Philmont for the Commissioner Service Conference.

I really don't see myself becoming very involved in a Crew. However if attending Powder Horn (Is it two words?) Would improve my knowledge of Venturing I'm willing to go.

But would it?

I have no ambition to relive the adventures of my past. So if that's what it's about I will stay home and read the book.

If I will come away and be able to say "Thats the way to do it -That's how it ought to work. I will go.

Any thoughts?

Eamonn.

I'm thinking that in the mood you've been in the last week or so, you better not go. I went to the course in Kentucky and Southern Indiana last year. In my opinion, the staff set the bar for all other courses, they did it that well. Powderhorn is a course to familiarize adult leaders with activities. For example, I read a little about Outdoor Living History, in the Ranger book, but never really had an idea what's involved. At Powderhorn we were introduced to some period reenactors, one lasy was kinda craftsy and a crew of others had their camp and equipment set up and put on a two hour talk about their hobby. When someone loves what their doing, they can't help but draw you in and make their presentation interesting. So I was familiarized with the hobby and some of the people who do Outdoor Living History. On that note, this Saturday, I'm taking the Ship up to a museum near Beloit, WI where they are having Civil War Days, Billy Yank and Johnny Reb, camps and skirmishes. I had never been on a Sailboat before Powderhorn where we went out for two hours on Lake Kentucky with Camp Manchesters 19'ers skippered by the Evansville, IN Sea Scouts. That was also my first introduction to Sea Scouts and sailing. Three weeks ago, our Ship went sailing on Lake Michigan, Racine to Kenosha and back. Never would have happenned without getting a taste of it at Powderhorn. My Sea Scouts morale is sky high, through the roof!!! We're going on another sailing overnighter in three weeks. So, Eamonn, I had a blast at Powderhorn, doing all the activities was a hoot, but the entire time I was figuring ways to bring the activities back home with me and become a Ship that does things besides have meetings. I met some great people at Powderhorn who I run into every now and then. We had a full course. I believe we had nearly 60 students. Probably less than half were Venturing Advisors. There were SMs, ASMs, Troop, District, and Council Committee members, Cub Scouters, and some Sea Scout leaders. Everyone can benefit by be more familiar with all the activities displayed. I was lucky in attending the course I did. The staffs at Buffalo Trace and Shawnee Trails Powderhorn course were exceptional and planned for 18 months on putting on our course. Prior to that I was enrolled in a course that flopped due to enrollment and poor planning. The course is designed to fill you full of resources. All the Ranger Award activities done at Powderhorn (with a few exceptions) can be taken back to Troops. That is the purpose, for you to take back the ideas, but if you have fun and meet some great people, that's not a problem. We didn't get to Scuba last winter. But it is on the schedule for next January.

Pounder:

The eight minute 180 degree shift in answers has to be some kind of record, even for these forums ;) I'll grant you that you got it right in the second answer.

Eamonn, dear friend, Powder Horn is right up your alley. Sleep in cabins by night and have adventures by day. You're on the right track as to what Venturing should be, and Powder Horn will teach you how it should be delivered.

Armed with that knowledge, you'll be dangerous. In a good way :)

Unc.

Hey Unc are you implying that I'm dangerous in a bad way now??

I will give this some serious thought, I do have the Jambo next year. But it's just a matter of catching Her That Must Be Obeyed on a good day!!

I have managed to sleep through the worlds worst snorers in fact it has been said that I might be one of them - It's all lies !!

Eamonn

• 4 weeks later...