How focused are your crews on advancement? Roughly how many bronze awards, silver awards, and gold awards do you have in your crew? What areas are your crews bronzes in? How about Ranger or Quest? Do you as a crew work on advancement together or is it very individualized? Overall, what are your thoughts on Venturing advancement?

Advancement in the Crews that we have in the District is almost nonexistent. To the best of my knowledge we have had one Ranger Award in the District and I think that is the one and only in the Council. I don't think that you will be surprised when I say that it was awarded to a female Crew Member.

IMOHO, This might be because most of the Males are still in Boy Scout Troops.The young Lass hails from the Crew that has the Assistant District Commissioner Venturing as its charter rep. This crew is more girls then boys and they seem to want to use the advancement program more then the all male crews.

Most of the all male Crews have an Ex-Assistant Scoutmaster as the adviser and claim to be High Adventure. At times I think that the little fellows who wear the blue uniform are having more adventures.

We do have a new Crew that will start up soon. The Chap who is going to be the Adviser is a high school teacher who is really into outdoor stuff so I have great hopes for him and hope that when the other crews see what he is up to that they will be shamed into doing more.

Eamonn

Welcome back OT

We don't see much interest in advancement either - maybe a few young Eagles that are still gung-ho, but otherwise these guys seem to be just out for a good time...

Part of the problem might lie in the external resources required to pursue the individual requirements; different than the more familiar Handbook and MB pamphlets because no convenient references. I see it as a freer way to operate, but fear that the kids (your pardon please) and especially their parents don't get it.

Whats to be done?

Our crew had not really been into advancements. Advancements if earned were for the most part done on your own. The crew was there to facilitate a survey of backpacking trips, hiking trips, community service projects, white water rafting, etc.

Crew members are also at an interesting age when it comes to advancement, many of our crew boys have just/or are finishing their Eagle scout requirements, and a lot of our girls have gotten their or are working on their GS Gold Awards. With Venturing advancements not as recognized can you blame the crew members for not being as motivated? How do we change that?

In addition, our crew's mentality is very much, we'er a group that does high adventure and has a lot of fun, but beyond that very little is required from us. In the midsts of SATs, College Applications, employment, college classes, high school extracurriculars, etc, the crew was our non-stress activity. A place where paperwork was not demanded nor homework due.

I know that advancement is one of the Boy Scoutings methods, but do you think it loses its affectiveness in Venturing Crews?

As I see it Venturing (because it has relied so heavily on transfering existing boy scouts and Boy scout leaders, rather than recruiting new youth) as infected its advancement program with one of he same program problems that has infected too mant troops.

Advancement is seen as something extra you have to do, rather than the residual effect of an active program. In fact advancement is what happens when you do scouting activities. Advancement in Venturing as in other scouting programs happens when you do scouting stuff. It's great to have fun and relax, there is room for that in all the programs. But scouting is a game with a purpose. Advancements are the milemarkers that you see when the activities you do follow the goals and program of scouting.

Stop trying to advance, and instead do scouting stuff that travels you on the road where advancement is found.

Make advancement fun, Have advancement clinics, When your crew does backpacking for example have the Venturers bring their books have the Advisor or another adult check off the requirements. This was done when a Venturing crew did an orienteering activity with a Boy Scout troop, certificates where made up as well for the event and a presentation was made at a crew meeting. Think scoutlike. Some crews are doing a 2 year Ranger program. In the Venturing Reference Guide pg74 under "advancement,Venturing. The Venturing advancement program is based on achievement proficiency in a variety of skill levels. Advancement includes the Venturing Bronze awards for each of the five Venturing clusters. Venturing Gold Award, Venturing Ranger Award, Venturing Silver Award and the Sea Scouting Quartermaster Award. The Venturing Silver Award is the highest award that can be achieved in Venturing. The Quartermaster Award is the highest award that can be achieved in Sea Scouting. Any male Venturer

who has achieved the First Class rank as a Boy Scout in a troop or as a Varsity Scout in a team may continue working toward the Star, Life, and Eagle awards while a Venturer to his 18th birthday. Hw must meet the requirements as prescribed in the official Boy Scout Handbook and the current Boy Scout Advancement Requirements. He may be registered as a Venturer only." A male or female Venturer can work on the Venturing or Sea Scouting awards until 21 years of age.

the above reference is from the Venturer Handbook published by the BSA in 1999 and revised again in 2003.

Bob

While I agree with the idea that Advancement is the by-product of a good program. When I look at Venturing in our District I see that most of the Boys are still in the troop and maybe due to the mindset of adults the rank of Eagle Scout is still looked upon as being something that you do in the troop. Yes I know what the book says!! But to date we have never had a Venturer reach the rank of Eagle Scout in a Crew.

Eamonn

My Point exactly Eamonn, they are not following the program, but simply bringing the bad habits from one to the other. The solution is for the leadership of the individual crews to brake tradition and follow the actual program. The program ain't broke, it's just not being used in all units.

Advancement could be a part of the crew program if the youth want to do it. If the crew goes for advancements then as a male Venturer who was a First class in the troop encourage him to continue and earn his Eagle as long as he within the age limits (under age 18)

Even after this young man earns his Eagle encourage him to earn Venturing awards. Encourage everyone in the crew to earn Venturing awards. Design ceremonies for award presentations. If people are having trouble with certain things then have tutorials, or clinics.Put pride in the crew.

I started a new crew this past year, 25 members over half female where I am youth pastorat the church. Advancement was not required or forced, but the girls got the boys motivated and ten have completed their first bronze in Religious Life and their faith award, and are working on other segments. They have all participated in a variety of service projects, including one for the troops in Iraq. They have also gone on camping,backpacking and mountain climbing trips. Next month we are going river rafting. I have found out that when they realize they can receive credit for all these events they pursue advancement because they want to, not because they have to. I have seen too many crews fail because the Advisor tries to make it another boy scout troop, which doesn't work well in a coed crew. Another crucial factor is to have solid and highly motivated youth officers. I love the Venture program, it has revitalized my youth group. Make it fun and they will come, and advance at their own pace.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the girls in our camp associated crew who earned both the Girl Scout Gold and the Venturing Silver is now in her third day as a cadet at the Coast Guard Academy. Just talked to her proud dad as he just got back from dropping her off.

The crew has had a few silvers and a couple of Rangers.

The LDS crews you don't see much advancement beyond boys finishing their Eagle.

I am a new Crew Advisor and just finished Venturer Specific Leadership Training. Our Crew is small- only 5 active young men. It is their's to direct with my assistance. If they don't want to meet, they don't. If they want to do something, I help them find a way to make it happen. I have told them that if they complete requirements, they will get credit for advancement whether they are interested in it or not. I continue to encourage it and I hope we will see advancement with time.