Maritime Interest Sea Scout Ships

To create a new program within Sea Scouting. Maritime Interest Sea Scout ships, to sail the bounding main, learn seamanship, oceanography, to serve an apprenticeship aboard a merchant ship, or a ocean tug, a cruise ship, a riverboat on the Mississippi River, to learn Naval Customs and Courtesy and about the US Merchant Marine the second year for Sea Scouts a week of that year summer camp at sea, or at Sea Base. Young men and women spending time at a sea camp learning marine biology. A program like this could start a new specialty within Sea Scouting.

Venture Scout and Scoutldr Why I mentioned this is to give ships an idea for a program there are already Maritime Careers listed in the Sea Scout Manual , As a UC sometimes I help with brainstorming for crews. This could be a new idea for some ships to try. Again I am not trying to re-invent the wheel as accused by other scouters. Just reading the Sea Scout Manual. No history just present program

Dana compare your first and last post.

"To create a new program within Sea Scouting"

vs.

"there are already Maritime Careers listed in the Sea Scout Manual" and " I am not trying to re-invent the wheel"

Do you see why your posts are so frustrating? Which is it are trying to create something new or trying to share something that exists? You don't seem to know yourself!

Maybe you can clarify something for me? I know that you like scout history, I know you like to brainstorm, you seem to see yourself as an idea person. Those are all nice ethereal things. But, when it comes to being a Venturing Commissioner, what do you actually DO. By that I mean, in an average program month, what concrete work do you do to support Venturing in your District? I am just really curious.

To support Venturing in my council, I am a Venturing Roundtable Commissioner, also a Unit Commissioner for a Venturing Crew I attend District Committee Meetings, I habve attended Camporees, In the roundtables we have addressed the Sea Scouting Program, winter sports, first roundtable was with a banquet. I helped lead Venturers in Orienteering, and we are now planning a council camporee, I advise a crew advisor also as a part of the unit commissioner, and on the Roundtable for Venturing I have 2 staff members that work with me. I have a Bachelors of Commissioner Science that I earned in 2002 from UOS in Camp Rodney, MD. That is about it. I am also aware that the Marine Careers are in the Sea Scout Manual but what I was trying to do is to see if there are any ships that do that part of the program. I am also aware that the Sea Scout program is an asset to the Merchant Marine as well as the Navy and the Coast Guard. Also this is a good way to get youth to be more confident and to learn leadership as well as fun doing that.

Now we are getting somewhere.

So first even though in your first post you said you wanted "To create a new program within Sea Scouting. Maritime Interest Sea Scout ships, to sail the bounding main, learn seamanship, oceanography, to serve an apprenticeship aboard a merchant ship,..." what you actually meant according to your last post was that you knew that part of the program already existed and " what I was trying to do is to see if there are any ships that do that part of the program." .

Do you see you your posts don't get you the answers you want? You don't seem to know what the question is. First you say you want to create something new and then you say you already new that it was there.

So you are a Venturing Roundtable Commissioner. (it's nice that you have your MS in commissioning but that is not something you DO, that is something you have. Neither is attending meetings a thing one DOES to support Venturing. It's what you do with the information from the meeting that counts.) You also are the UC for a crew. I would be interested in a typical agenda for your Venturing RT as we are not doing them yet in this council. How often do you meet?

For the camporee you are planning, is this for Venturing units only? What are some of the activities that are planned?

Perhaps you could provide a greater service, and certainly more concrete service to Venturing, if you focused more on local activities and responsibilities then on trying to change the program on a national level?

Venturing Roundtables will resume in August, Ideally they are held every 3 months, I try to have a Staff Meeting about a month before the Roundtable. We were getting some advisors to come though not enough there are about 26 crews in our council. The roundtable is council wide and we try to cover a lot of the topics that Venturing can use. We also try to keep up with the Venturing Officers Association and they have helped us with presentations when we needed youth to assist us. As a Unit Commissioner for a Crew sometimes I have helped with some activities for the Crew, back in March we took 2 Venturers and 2 other adults for an orienteering activity with a Boy Scout Troop. The youth had fun and learned quite a bit. We awarded them with a Certificate for the Activity to give a little encouragement and they also done the Land Navigation requirement for Outdoor Bronze and this also goes toward Ranger. I am in process of doing Crew profiles for crews in the District so I can give a report of them for District Committee. Many times I visit crews either, the crew meeting or Committee, or an officers meeting.

In fact this upcoming week I visit a Civil War Living History crew to see a little how they operate. I try to keep up with what we have in our district.

Bob we also use the Venturing Roundtable Guide for the Roundtable ideas. Last Year the first roundtable was a banquet for Venturing and basically a Brainstorming session a breakout session for the youth and It was a good session food really brings people out. Then We did a Roundtable on Sea Scouts a ship from a neighboring council helped us out since the one in our council was just started. The third roundtable was a Winter Sports skiing and snowboarding, The Last real roundtable was on Climbing and Mountaineering. We were sidetracked by Council for a while and finally we received clearance to resume roundtables at the District Roundtable so in August we will resume Venturing Roundtables we need to set a mission and a vision and goals and resume staff meetings.

dana_renner, I have basically given up pondering why you always post twice. Whether you hit the button too much, impatience...or you just like to post twice, I don't know...

It has come to the point where I am no longer annoyed by seeing two of the same posts... A scout is Cheerful, and he always looks to the brighter side of things... So the brighter side of you posting twice... I get to see your post in grey and white, and depending on my mood and my eyes, I can read it with the white background or the grey.

I am now content in you posting twice. :)

Venture Scout, sorry about the double postings, I hit the submit once and it does it twice don't know why it does this. I have asked many people about this and even have complained about this and got no satisifaction, Sorry. Well you are one of the people who feel that I am trying to reinvent the wheel. Well not really, I am trying to find consensus on what Sea Scout Ships are doing in this Maritime Interest Sea Scout post, I basically am a person that does ideas and like to brainstorm ideas, and will stick around to put them into action. It is not my intentiion to confuse other people, or to appear like I am confused what my program is all about. And it is good that you are cheerful as part of the scout law and also what the OA is all about right. But also as a part of the scout law a scout is trustworthy I honestly regret any confusion or inconvience on your part. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Under my previous posts on a maritime interest under Sea Scouts I mean for Marine Career Programs this is on page 66 in the Sea Scout Manual can a ship adopt a marine career program only? Also can a ship also adopt a Merchant Marine Midshipman program similar to what is offered at the US Merchant Marine Academy or co-opt much of this

Midshipman program and use it in their ship's Program? If so are there any ships out there doing it. On the same token could an aquatic interest Venturing crew do this as well.